children's python looks dizzy and a little up side down :/

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptishack101

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey i was trying to upload a video but for some reason it wont let me.

Any way i am a little concerned as my children's python docent seam to know what shes doing or where shes going let alone being able to balance or know whats up from down. I've taken her out of her enclosure and into a smaller container that i had my woma in as a hatchie (still a decent size for her) as she kept falling from her branch after about the third time falling off i got her out to check on her and sat her on my bed and it was as if she was trying to tie herself into a knot, I left her there for a while and just sat there watching she eventually ended up on her back just lying there until i flipped her onto her belly again then she would wave her head and twist it upside down as if she was confused as to which way was up or down.
im not sure what it could be but she hasnt eaten since it started to get colder even though the heats still on but either has my woma thats just what there like every year around this time. my coastal and woma are fine and there all caged next to one another.

any ideas as to what it could be would be greatly appreciated i've only noticed it today so if it stays the same over the next few days ill take more serious actions just want suggestions for now

Also shes around 4 years of age and was wondering if i should move her completely away from the other snakes?

Thanks in advance Zac.

Take it to the vet.

Also, if you provide more details people will be able to help.
How long have you had it?
How old?
Temps?
What were you feeding?
Can you upload done photos too?

Sounds neurological from what you're describing. Off to the vet ASAP and strict hygiene protocols regarding any other herps you have would be my suggestion, at least until you have a positive ID from your vet.

Goodluck.

Hi,

I wouldn't wait for a couple of days my friend I'd isolate the critter immediately and get it off for examination asap.

From your description of the symptoms ie; disorientation (falling of the perch/inability to right itself), corkscrewing (tying itself in knots) & stargazing (twisting it's neck) it is definitely neurological. It could be encephalitis or a severe respiratory infection but considering all symptoms are occurring concurrently it is quite possible it may be inclusion body disease (IBD).

Iv'e attached a link to Wikipedia that I believe provides a pretty good explanation of IBD and the symptoms associated with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inclusion_Body_Disease.

George.

Booked in for the vet at 2 o'clock today I'll let use know how she gos thanks for the quick replies.

Aside from the possibility of a virus, is there any chance she may have been overheated at one point?

It definitely sounds neurological unfortunately, with a high chance of it being viral, have you had any new additions in the last 12months that weren't adequately quarantined?

No new additions. the vet said it's most likely viral that has caused neurological problems I asked what it could have been caused from and she said there's a mite that can cause it or if she got overheated. She gave it an injection and said if it's no good in a weeks time there's nothing she can do other than euthanise it. I also took it to a local guy who knows a lot about them and he said the same thing and that it's highly contages to other reptiles. So I've now fully cleaned every enclosure and isolated the children's python and put all new fresh sub straight.

thanks again I'll let you know what ends up happening

Viral infections can be short term or long term leading to fatal results. It is not uncommon, for example, that humans get viral probems which affect the middle ear and associated balance. When the viral attach passes, the patient can return to normal without any side effects.
As already mentioned, the syptoms sound neurolical which can be caused by environmental influeces such as poison or temperature or mechanical damage as well as from bacterial or viral infections.
If the cause is environmental the animal may repair over time.
If it is from infection the same may happen.
Either way it is wise to observe quarantine by ideally keeping the animal in a seperate building and tending to the animal "last" so as not to pass on any contamination to other healthy animals. You should also minimise cross contact between you apparently healthy animals as they may be incubating symptoms.
I know i have just repeated what others have already said however I am trying to say dont panic, It may be bad or not so bad and probably what you or your vet do will have little effect on the sick animal. The main aim is to minimise any spread IF it is contageous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back