Snake substrates

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly11

Reaction score
Is sugar cane mulch or wood shavings ok to use as a substrate for both of my tanks

I use it in my big tank in the garage. It's not as nice as the zoo med aspen bedding but a lot cheaper. It's got an odd smell when it's new so better for the garage than the lounge

Others can probably confirm/deny but I have a sneaking suspicion that standard wood shavings (pine?) may have some nasties in there that make them unsuitable for snakes

Others can probably confirm/deny but I have a sneaking suspicion that standard wood shavings (pine?) may have some nasties in there that make them unsuitable for snakes

I am sure you are right here! I personally use Coconut Crush substrate which is a processed coconut husk. It is chopped up and washed prior to being imported into Australia which also means it is subjected to some stringent import controls. I, personally, love the stuff! Oh yes, it is also digestible.

Phenols are the nasties that are supposed to come with pine and particularly Cedar shaving. I have used pine without a problem. When chosing substrate it is good to chose something that hasn't been carted half way around the world so as to minimise the environmental footprint and to increase sustainability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back