Carpet stuck in shed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diplodocus

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I've already taken this guy to two very reputable vets, my setup is fine and I'm not a novice keeper. I'm just wondering if anyone has had any expererience with this. Apparently due to a minorhttps://www.google.com.au/search?cl...a=X&ei=wOXlU5vODoHn8AXa4oGADg&ved=0CBkQvwUoAA respiratory infection which is now taken care of, he decided to not shed at all and this is the result. I've been told to soak him daily with a QV oil bath every now and then but its a very slow process. Has anyone else ever had this happen to one of theirs?

hades.jpg

I'm assuming you've tried just upping the humidity, done the ol' wet pillow case and all those? Stuck shed is pretty common, not often you see them that complete though..

That sure is a bad one! The RI obviously played with it's head too, use a commercial shedding agent, (or some EF washing up liquid), and do the job for him. It can't be good leaving a full old skin on for a hope that it will come off next slough. Istress that this is just my opinion and also that I am NOT a vet. Good luck with it and let us all know how it turns out.

I'm going through this exact problem atm with one of my bredli's. The vet I took her too prescribed antibiotics (fortum) and she has to be steam bathed daily, which has helped incredibly! She has started to shed and her hydration has come back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine was also on antibiotics for a while which has most certainly helped. The resident snake expert at Murdoch Uni had a look at him and said it's rare for this to happen but it shouldn't be harmful in anyway to the snake. Just need to wait it out now and keep up with the bathing. It's even hard to find much info online about cases this bad.

I've had great results with soaking and Lucas paw paw ointment,...keep the snake really wet as you rub more ointment in,...sheds I had no success in moving after hours of water soaks slid off within 5-10 mins of adding ointment

My concern would be the ocular scales, make sure that they come away as they can cause some quite serious problems if they are retained.

use a water based lubricant...

over here i would use Viscotears eye gell (a human eye moisturiser) or KY Jelly (a human sexual lubricant)...

as they are water based they will do no damage to the snake

as yours has retained at least one full shed,i would use the sexual lubricant,as its cheaper and is a really good lubricant,just lager it all over the snake and leave the snake in a tub without substrate for a few hours,i would then try easing it off with my fingers

are you sure it's only one shed it has retained mate ?

cheers shaun

Last edited:
Whats wrong with just a plain old warm bath (daily if need be)....but remember whats on the outside is on the inside. solar 17 ~B~

Ive found vitamin e cream works wonders dont know about on this scale though

Out of three recent sheds on three different Snakes...
Two of them have had trouble shedding and one was successful.

Kept humidity up in all enclosures. Two out of three use paper as substrate, one uses coir peat.
The two bigger Snakes have 40cm baking trays full of water (2-3L) to soak/submerge in if need be.

The ironic thing is that the enclosure with the smallest water bowl/less humidity (smaller Snake), is the one that had a successful shed.

I've soaked the other Snakes in warm water on a daily basis over the last few and most of their shed(s) have come off.

Should I be worried at all? I haven't noticed any heavy breathing/mucus/signs of RI in either Snake and they've both taken feeds during Winter.

Edit: Forgot to mention. I reckon it helps them shed better if you put a rough object in with the warm water. Such as a large Rock or Brick.

Last edited:
Hey Bud. This may help a bit. I had the same issue with my oldest Coastal Carpet early this year. He is 30 years old and apart from his head he failed to shed completely. I put a large bowl of water in his enclosure and spayed him with warm water twice a day.

I kept the humidity up without it becoming like a bathroom in winter (I was worried about fungal spores) and luckily the next shed was complete. Now if I ever happen to see him starting to shed I will get him out and give him a hand.

I did make the mistake once of soaking him and rubbing his shed off and a day later he puffed up like a balloon and it took 2 weeks for the swelling to subside. He's a tough old bugger. He developed pneumonia around 10 years ago and pulled through.

All the best. Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back