Cost of pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MathersD

Reaction score
With all the morphs coming and the amount of ppl breeding Albino Darwins . The price of these stunners are going to drop even more . Should breeders stop breeding or carry on flooding the market ?

yeah it seems that pythons on the lower end of the cost scale ie childrens pythons etc will stay the same and snakes like albino darwins will continue to fall. There is still plenty of market and money to be made for all. The more snakes going to good homes the better.
I will certainly buy one if they continue to drop

New colours, patters and morphs will continue to emerge and the common ones will drop in price until they reach a balance. Thats just the way things work in any market place.

And in 10 or 20 years time, the morphs and jags will be commonplace, and everyone will be wanting pure locale reptiles.

Not so sure about that one pinefamily.. Colours and brightness play a large factor in most peoples preference for reptiles.. and we all know how good jags can look. I do love seeing pure localities though, its amazing how much they vary.

I always compare it to budgies...how many people own the good old wild type green budgie?

And in 10 or 20 years time, the morphs and jags will be commonplace, and everyone will be wanting pure locale reptiles.

I think this will definately happen and am feeling it might be sooner than that.
Just in the last few weeks I've had heaps of buyers telling me they are staying well clear of Jags. I think after people do their research on Jags, they become much less appealing, especially after knowing the history behind them and where they originated from.
Just thought I'd share some personal observation from a sellers point of view.

Cheers, Dan

Last edited:
I think reptile breeding is going the right way as we get more and more people getting in to the hobby
prices will always be going up and down its all about want people want
if you look at the price of albino olive when they hit the market and what they sell for now you will see all morphs will drop
but with the top breeds bring new and better like jag and morphs to the table each year prices will even out on
pure reptile as most breeder/keeper start with a pure animal so i think with that i mind we will always have a good market for pure animals

its called ..... Supply and Demand......

True. These reptiles have no objective monetary value, they are worth what people will pay and there's a thousand reasons why or why not someone would pay X amount for a snake. For me it's generally lack of funds :-(

Simple things like price drops aren't necessarily a bad thing for the hobby or breeders.
Taking albinos as an example, when they were $2k+ a few years back they were hardly accessible to most keepers. Now with prices around the $650 mark they are much more accessible and therefore a little more popular and common(not a bad thing).
I believe they'll bottom out at around the $500 mark in the next 2-3 years but not drop as they are still different to all other wild types. This is an easily accessible price point for newcomers to the hobby, and while breeders won't be making so much, there will be a rise in popularity and demand which creates balance.
It's the basic ebb and flow of any market with new product.

If you want a good example of a species that has stayed strong in the market over a very long period which has seen a rise in popularity but not a drop in price, take a look at BHP's.
Now with axanthics, calicos and some of the amazing reds and yellows bred by folks like Den K and Neil Sonnemann, the breed is set to have a solid resurgence, yet your standard BHP's I highly doubt will suffer a price drop or a demand drop at all...

I think this will definately happen and am feeling it might be sooner than that.
Just in the last few weeks I've had heaps of buyers telling me they are staying well clear of Jags. I think after people do their research on Jags, they become much less appealing, especially after knowing the history behind them and where they originated from.
Just thought I'd share some personal observation from a sellers point of view.

Cheers, Dan

Hello Turtle, you mention the history of jags. I have been searching and searching and cannot find much about them. Do you have any sources I can do some more reading? My wife would like one, or possibly a jungle, so trying to read up about them.

These threads happen every year....

Look at any product in the world, its supply and demand.

Roughies where oover 18k a pair.
womas where thousands a pair.

An interesting one is albino olives are going up in price because the breeders cant breed more then people want, omg supply and demand again :p

- - - Updated - - -

Heres a good thread...

https://aussiepythons.com/forum/showthread.php/80037-general-cost-of-spotted-pythons

Back in 08 spotteds where selling fro $250 plus.

I get them offered to me buy mates for under $50 each now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back