Stimsons on sand?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kai92

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I've been sceptical for a while about using sand as my substrate for my stimsons. Just looking for your opinion.

My only concern would be sand getting stuck to the rodent at feeding time and could cause an impaction if the sand starts to clump up in the digestive tract and cause problems, but it can be done, if you maybe take your stimson out at feeding time and put him back after his meal it should be fine.

Consider using a digestible substrate like Chippsy or similar. Otherwise as suggested by Reptiles10 take him out at feeding time and then put him back.

There are other, more practical examples of substrate other than sand. Consider using something like kritters crumble, or a similar husk product. Sand is a hassle and not worth the effort. Pure sand is also not a very natural substrate despite how it may look.

+1 for reptiles101 quote

Also note that whilst the colored sand looks great it can stain your snake over a period of time.

I vaguely recall reading from Mike Swan's book 'Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons' that he recommended using more coarse river type sand as opposed to perhaps more finely processed ones. Maybe that's something you might keep in mind also

The thing I always wonder when people raise the impaction issue is... do snakes only eat on leaves or large rocks in the wild? Surely nature allows for food to be contaminated with loose sand.

I'm not having a shot at anyone with this, it is just an observation I have made and I know it is better to be safe than sorry given how much we spend on our snakes. Personally I use astro turf and hose it off when I put a fresh layer of newspaper and a second piece of turf.

Thanks for the replies, I've been using the bark from the pet store for over a year now and it's been great. I'm just wanting to try something different for the next substrate change. So if I do go down that path I'll just take them out when it's feeding time.

I've got the book at home so I will definitely open it when I finish work and have a read of what it says.

Thanks again for the replies everyone.

The thing I always wonder when people raise the impaction issue is... do snakes only eat on leaves or large rocks in the wild? Surely nature allows for food to be contaminated with loose sand.

I'm not having a shot at anyone with this, it is just an observation I have made and I know it is better to be safe than sorry given how much we spend on our snakes. Personally I use astro turf and hose it off when I put a fresh layer of newspaper and a second piece of turf.

I agree, i have seen dozens of photos of black heads eating lizards that are covered in sand. Obviously in captivity we want to reduce the risk as much as possible, but it may not be as big of an issue as some people treat it. Not sure though, happy to be proven wrong. I don't keep my snakes on sand either way.

That's why I use the astroturf Beans. Easy and not messy.

Sand is quite a cold substrate away from the heat-source - the major reason why I wouldn't use it. As far as impaction goes, you must take into account the fact that our captive animals are far less active than their wild counterparts, and the digestive tracts of captive animals are therefore less stimulated by movement than they would be in the bush. Lack of exercise is probably a major reason for impaction and prolapse because wastes stay inside for far longer.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back