what substrate donu thinks best

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fractal_man;2455542k said:
I may have misinterpreted this. However, your substrate looks more like recycled paper than pine pellets.

Yes, that particular one is made from recycled paper but the one I saw at the pet shop was in the same form just made from pine

Only use newspaper or white paper rolled on a tube that you can buy. The use of anything else is nonsence.

Only use newspaper or white paper rolled on a tube that you can buy. The use of anything else is nonsence.

You have a right to your opinion however, I don't share it.

Did snakes evolve to spend their lives living on newspaper?
The answer, in my opinion, is no. Therefore I use Chipsi as a substrate

You have a right to your opinion however, I don't share it.

Did snakes evolve to spend their lives living on newspaper?
The answer, in my opinion, is no. Therefore I use Chipsi as a substrate

If your talking about the wild,

snakes get covered in ticks, exposed to bush fires, attacked by wild animals and their own prey, diseases and illnesses. Snakes have clutches of 20-30 because most will die. So why even mention snakes evolving and living in the wild when we are keeping are animals in captivity? Lets say one of your snakes deficates on your chipsi substrate, are you going to change all of the substrate? No, your going to spot clean it with all the urin and liquid left in the enclosure spread through out the remaining substrate and on the enclosure bottom which you can't see. with you thinking that you've cleaned it out, but you havn't. Then theirs dust, is the substrate your using even suitable for snakes or is it the rodent kind? If its the rodent kind it can harm your snake. Do you think I work for a newspaper company or something, no im telling you you should use it because loose substrate is just a bad idea. newspaper, paper towl, or any other kind of whole peice substrate is the only option you should use because its no risk and actually able to be cleaned properly. What if the snake urinates or its a real runny liquid stool snakes get sometimes? You won't see it, youl leave it and problems may accure. Reptiles in captivity is all about illiminating or limiting issues so we have healthy snakes and get healthy clutches (if we breed them) with minimal vet visits as possible.

Lets say one of your snakes deficates on your chipsi substrate, are you going to change all of the substrate? No, your going to spot clean it with all the urin and liquid left in the enclosure spread through out the remaining substrate and on the enclosure bottom which you can't see. with you thinking that you've cleaned it out, but you havn't. Then theirs dust, is the substrate your using even suitable for snakes or is it the rodent kind? If its the rodent kind it can harm your snake. Do you think I work for a newspaper company or something, no im telling you you should use it because loose substrate is just a bad idea. newspaper, paper towl, or any other kind of whole peice substrate is the only option you should use because its no risk and actually able to be cleaned properly. What if the snake urinates or its a real runny liquid stool snakes get sometimes? You won't see it, youl leave it and problems may accure.

What about people who only have a couple of snakes who want a natural looking enclosure, are happy to take their snakes out a few days after a feed to let them defecate and if necessary, are happy to replace the substrate?

I agree that news paper is a great substrate for ease of maintenance but you're putting a lot of words in other peoples mouths. If you want to use newspaper go for it, if other people are happy to put it a bit of extra time to have a natural looking enclosure, then that is their business...

What about people who only have a couple of snakes who want a natural looking enclosure, are happy to take their snakes out a few days after a feed to let them defecate and if necessary, are happy to replace the substrate?

I agree that news paper is a great substrate for ease of maintenance but you're putting a lot of words in other peoples mouths. If you want to use newspaper go for it, if other people are happy to put it a bit of extra time to have a natural looking enclosure, then that is their business...

The proper bedding thats reptile safe is pretty expensive (aspen bedding etc) the people that use it are taking short cuts for sure. how much would it cost to cover the bottom of a 4ft enclosure and replace the whole thing every week or two when part of it (that you can see) is soiled. I don't think I'm "putting words in people's mouths" I think I'm bringing something to attention that people want to turn a blind eye to.

If your talking about the wild

No I was thinking more about what is coded in their DNA.

So you're saying that everything except for newspaper is bad for the snake. I beg to differ.
Again, whilst I respect your opinion, I don't have to conform to it :D

You carry on using newspaper, I'll use snake specific bedding. ;) :) :D

Just for something different... I put down a layer of newspaper to absorb moisture and have a mat of astro turf which gets changed out for a clean piece and the soiled one is cleaned and hung out in the sun. Looks good, quick and easy to change out, no dust. But like I said I mostly do it because it looks nice and my enclosures are in the house on display.

No I was thinking more about what is coded in their DNA.

So you're saying that everything except for newspaper is bad for the snake. I beg to differ.
Again, whilst I respect your opinion, I don't have to conform to it :D

You carry on using newspaper, I'll use snake specific bedding. ;) :) :D

Well your obviously a bright dude and can tell right from wrong, so il let you do what you want with your animals. Also I disagree with your signature. I don't think a ****zu is a zoo without animals.

Well your obviously a bright dude and can tell right from wrong, so il let you do what you want with your animals. Also I disagree with your signature. I don't think a ****zu is a zoo without animals.

*sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back