Artificial insemination

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmo101

Reaction score
So I'm curious about how far this way of breeding has come, I've done a bit of reading on this and am after some more personal responses on the subject.
Working in a vet practice I see it happen quite often in dogs and occasionally in cats and it has spiked my curiosity as to do we (Australian's) use it?

Would you as a breeder personally use it if it was an option to you?

How far into the development of this practice would it be before you got on board and used it too?

The success rate outcome you predict?
(I know I could be opening a can of worms here)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Artificial insemination is a relatively widespread practice both for commercial operations as well as domestic purposes. It is used in birds, fish, and mammals and I see no reason why it cannot be used for reptiles as well. Obviously the more research and development that takes place the more viable an option it would be.

It has many practical applications, including having available better genetic material available, improved quarantine potential and far more control over breeding outcomes (including things like sex determination and the number of offspring produced).

I think most people would be surprised at how widespread AI is, and how successful it has been and with correct R & D there is no reason why it wouldn't be successful in reptiles.

Wing_Nut

It has been successfully used in reptiles and I know of at least one breeder who has trialled it for a few years now with pythons with good results.

I am not surprised to hear that. It would be interesting to see and read about techniques that are successful and what processes are followed.

Does anyone know how accessible it is now?
Or how close it is to becoming a common practice amongst the everyday breeders?
AI holds a number of benefits of it's use but would it effect the breeding capability of the female and/or male because the 'courting' part of the breeding process is missed? ( I know it can affect some dogs, the lack of hormonal interaction means no babies, but are perfectly fine breeders)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back