Coastal Python Light Cycle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuyAdam

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I understand that a Coastal is nocturnal and I have read they need a light cycle of at least 12/12.
My question is this - can I up the night cycle a few hours and also is it possible to alter the biorythmic clock and artificially provide day and night but opposite to the outside world (day outside = night time in tank etc.) If this was done would it be bad for the snake or would it just adjust accordingly?

Not really going to try it just curious. All replies appreciated [emoji3]

Thanks!

[MENTION=40758]ThatGuyAdam[/MENTION]

Creating a completely artificial environment… Yes, it can be done but prepare for a hefty electricity bill!

I live in the tropics so summer = air con AND heating to regulate temperature due to our poorly insulated rental unit.

It's not so much as providing light and dark but rather heat and cool - and I'm a fan of providing 24/7 heat for hatchies anyway...

I don't provide light for my snakes all the time either. They have dimming LEDs in their enclosures since they don't get any direct light from anywhere else, but I don't find it changes their behaviour overly much if I don't have it on.

Last edited:
[MENTION=37955]Lawra[/MENTION]

OK so they pick up on temps rather than light and that is what determines whether the snake thinks its day or night. I know they tend to have poor eye sight but was unsure if they relied on light to judge day/night. He only comes out when we turn all the ceiling lights are off but investigates without fully emerging when they are on. Which got me thinking it may have been confusing him.
ATM I don't have the space to keep the reptiles in there own room (but soon will. I just need to get rid of some junk). There is also a Beardy tank in the same room and a small amount of light falls onto the Snake tank (beardy on 14hr day cycle) it should not affect him though if they use heat instead of light to judge day/night.

ATM im running a heat light (infrared) 24/7 as I have a mesh top tank and also a poorly insulated unit. I live in Sydney though so temps don't get too high but man it can get cold!

Technically this could be done. If you could keep the light and heat on in the night and the light off and heat down during the day. The snake would then act during the day as if it is night and during the night as if it were day. The main struggle depending where you live is keeping heat up at night. The environment helps a bit in maintaining temps. Also if you plan to breed it's much easier to get those required low temps at night than it is in day.

[MENTION=37197]Riffherper[/MENTION]
As I am such a noob I was just curious and thought I could find answers here (which of course I did :) ) As your saying the temps are most easily regulated when they are in line with outside temps so it would be a pain to do, but I wanted to know if it was possible. If a snake was purely for display purpose and I had a more insulated house I would give it a go but as I have only got my first one recently I'm not sure if I will breed or not. Thanks for the answers everyone has been so helpful! Hope u don't mind if I keep the questions rolling tho lol
Knowledge = Power haha

Keep them coming mate we were all there at some stage. Keep in mind that even a 'nocturnal' snake will make plenty appearances during the day in a captive setting.

- - - Updated - - -

In terms of snakes on display - you will even get to the stage (trust me) where you tire of every person visiting your home wanting to see/hold/touch your snake and charge into your 'herp room'. I have used the old 'they are sleeping' sooo many times lol

[MENTION=37197]Riffherper[/MENTION]
I am aware that he will appear during the day once he is more comfortable in his new enclosure but it was more of a "is this possible" question.

As for display,
I had to let go of all the bad influences in my life - this included everyone I know as I grew up in a dodgey area lol. So I'm confident no one will both me with asking if they can come over to see my snake until I choose to be involved in a herp society or something similar.

I didn't buy him to be a 'show piece' but I may one day as there are many amazing looking snakes out there. I didn't even know about the morphs til recently so I'm sure I will buy at least one purely to show or something like that

If you are running a red globe 24/7 then you are already exposing it to no night cycle.
As others have said it is possible to change cycles. It is possible to change everything in captive animals. Some people even cycle their animals to breed in summer but it takes some work and is more costly for obvious reasons.

It is becoming more apparent that this is the case. The sky is the limit lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back