First Snake any tips?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My darwin python was my first juvi snake and the way I combated the fear of being bitten was to say "Come on bite me then I ain't even scared" and I would put my hand into the tank without looking and get her out. Remember if you go at a snake and you're nervous they get nervous too. To don't fart around just go in confidently and pick him up.

[MENTION=40512]Alexbee[/MENTION] - Exactly as you said its basically conditioned into us that a a snake bite is a bad thing - that's the only part I'm really having trouble shaking. I feel its more psychological than anything.
[MENTION=38897]Beans[/MENTION] - The fact they get nervous when the handler gets nervous was my downfall when putting him in his enclosure. I started to get worried and I could he knew but with my lack of handling experience I had no idea what to do lol

Yeah its just one of those things you get used to.. you will be nervous, you will shake and you will get bitten.. the more times you get bitten the less you will shake lol.. also when you get struck at try really hard not to pull away as this can hurt the teeth of your python

Yeah its all part of the hobby, its inevitable lol. Like I said previously hurting him when I react is my main concern.

Cheers!! :)
I was looking for this but couldn't remember the exact name or authors.

I would recommend Hawkesbury Herps. Broad range of members and a lot of highly respected ones as well.

I will definitely be looking Into that when I have spare time. I came across their website or saw it on a website, its pretty close to me so that's good too

When is the best time to handle my snake. Its a coastal carpet so being nocturnal I presume the best time is in the evening once he is active

My advice would to be ignore any advice given here from members that joined after 2010 and scrutinise all advice from members pre 2010.
There's some very experienced keepers here. But it takes time to work out who they are :)

[MENTION=16366]Snowman[/MENTION]

Don't worry I am not the type of person to take EVERYTHING as gospel. I like to research and these forums are merely another avenue to do this. As I am only new to this I am willing to take everyone's opinion on board but before putting it into practice I thoroughly research the reasons why they do this and the possible outcomes be it good or bad. I am sure there are many experience keepers here (that's what I'm looking for as I am a noob lol) as well as some that are not, as you said takes time to work out who.

Some good books are 'keeping & breeding Australian pythons' by mike swan, section on coastal carpets written by brad walker. But also covers all other python species. ' keeping carpet pythons' by Darren green also a good little book. Enclosure wise I've tried various things over the years, juv snakes do tend to fair better and are more easylily managed in smaller simpler click clack tubes but have also had juvies in larger enclosures with no worries. That being said if yours is an escape artist a large enclosure is likely to be very adventurous and may also present possible escape concerns which may be over come with a more secure option of a tube until its a bit older and larger.

- - - Updated - - -

On handling and avoiding bites. Some little points that have worked for me and that I pass on to junior keepers is that 2 likely times your snake may bite is when first being removed from enclosure or if hungry and waiting for food. When you look at it from the snakes perception, the first thing it sees is this big hand reaching in towards it and can respond defensively. I've found by either covering the hand in a snake bag or gently covering the snake can ease this behaviour and once out of the enclosure the chance of a defensive or territorial bite is reduced as too is a feeding reaction by preventing fingers being mistaken for pinkies so to speak. By doing things calmly and smoothly will also make a difference. Quick jerky movements especially around a snake not used to handling is a effective way to sustain a bite

[MENTION=9104]stusnake[/MENTION]

In regard to handling I have had my snake in his enclosure to settle for the last 6 days since I got him. Should I give him a feed first then handle in a further two days or handle then fees tonight or tomorrow. Also as I a little worried about my first bite I kind of want it to happen so I can begin to learn to deal with it as it is just another part of the hobby.

My advice would to be ignore any advice given here from members that joined after 2010 and scrutinise all advice from members pre 2010.
There's some very experienced keepers here. But it takes time to work out who they are :)

So because people haven't joined a internet forum before 2010 that means they have no experience and should be ignored.. I'm pretty sure most people are happy to take advice from anyone who is whiling to help them.. I think its best to research in lots of different ways.. not just listen to some guy because he has been sitting behind his computer since 2009..

[MENTION=40512]Alexbee[/MENTION]
Easy up turbo! Hahaha Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Some are just worth listening to and some arent. I take everyone's responses into consideration and you logic to determine the relevance to the info I need

So because people haven't joined a internet forum before 2010 that means they have no experience and should be ignored.. I'm pretty sure most people are happy to take advice from anyone who is whiling to help them.. I think its best to research in lots of different ways.. not just listen to some guy because he has been sitting behind his computer since 2009..

Easy up turbo! Hahaha Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Some are just worth listening to and some arent. I take everyone's responses into consideration and you logic to determine the relevance to the info I need

And I use logic to get the info I need

Yes I said scrutinise advise from all people pre 2010. That includes the likes of me for sure. I still refer to myself as a noob. Anyone with less than 15 years of keeping is a noob.... Generally people with an interest and knowledge were chatting on forums a long before 2010. Like pythoninfinite for example. Don't get bent out of shape. It's just an observation. It's just a shame a lot of the other experience left because people got offended or upset when they gave real advice that wasn't to many new keepers liking. There are a lot of over night experts. And that was the point was was conveying. Nothing personal to you, I've never even seen you on here till right now.
We often find aggressive people with new accounts are people that have been banned previously. I guess the fact someone here before 2010 means they have played by the APS rules and not been banned for longer than it takes to do most apprenticeships :p

Last edited by a moderator:
personally Id try a feed first. theres no real rush to get him or yourself used to handling. ensuring he is settling in and feeding are more important in my thoughts. As for biting, I wouldnt stress too much nor would i try to encourage a bite from the snake either just to experience it or deal with it. Being bitten isnt really part of the hobby. Sure its something that can happen but its not something thats guenteed. For myself Ive been invovled and working with snakes for the best part of half my life and professionally handling venomous species for over ten years now. I am still yet to be bitten and envenomated, i have recieved a few bites over the years by non venomous species and I do handle the non venomous much differently to how i handle venomous, but i believe prevention is better than cure and over the years with various handling techniques and experience along with getting familiar with their behaviour Im fortunate to rarely cop a bite. And despite some handlers beliefs i would much rather boast about how i dont get bitten rather than how many times i have been.
snakes really only have a few primary reasons for biting- to eat and protect themselves. So long as you take measures to avoid confusion at feeding time and not present as a danger that will greatly minimise a bite. Over time with handling the snake will get used to handling and view it as non threatening behaviour and just part of its normal day to day life.

well my snake is. she snuggles up and as soon as I open the cage she climbs into my arms etc. but yea maybe affectionate is not the best word to use

My this is a very warm tree is the best sentence to describe what your snake is doing.

Yes I said scrutinise advise from all people pre 2010. That includes the likes of me for sure. I still refer to myself as a noob. Anyone with less than 15 years of keeping is a noob.... Generally people with an interest and knowledge were chatting on forums a long before 2010. Like pythoninfinite for example. Don't get bent out of shape. It's just an observation. It's just a shame a lot of the other experience left because people got offended or upset when they gave real advice that wasn't to many new keepers liking. There are a lot of over night experts. And that was the point was was conveying. Nothing personal to you, I've never even seen you on here till right now.
We often find aggressive people with new accounts are people that have been banned previously. I guess the fact someone here before 2010 means they have played by the APS rules and not been banned for longer than it takes to do most apprenticeships :p

You said ignore... but i agree with scrutinizing advice from every person on this forum.. I havent come across any aggressive people on this forum as of yet..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back