Quick Question about licensing in NSW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumby

Not so new Member
Reaction score
On facebook their was a huge (let's call it) "debate" were a lady asked 'are their any lizards that don't require you to have a license?'
Their was lets call him a 'key board warrior' who commented 'only way really is by being indigenous, and living in states with indigenous rights* in NSW you are aloud to own and pet a blue toungue lizard plus others* (if your indigenous)'

Now being Indigenous myself, I have not heard about this 'law', 'rule' whatever that bloke want's to call it. I obtained my license legally & don't see how this wouldn't apply for any other Indigenous Australian.

Can some one clear this up for me? As I've read NSW laws etc etc time & time again and haven't seen this pop up at all, esp. in NSW, I cannot speak for the other states though. TIA to anyone who could answer this.

Don't know about this "indigenous law", but pretty sure it varies from state to state what lizards you can own without a permit. Here in SA you can have blue tongues, shinglebacks, and a couple other skinks and geckos. You can also own one permitted reptile/animal/bird without a permit. But it does vary from state to state.

I have spent many hours previously trying to find this "law" as I have heard this previously and haven't been successful either.
And keyboard worrior is too polite for that child.

Thanks mate, Yeah I thought SA you could have blue tounges, didn't know the other's.
Thanks again, just really dislike when people hand out misinformed information to people who are already in the unknown.

- - - Updated - - -

I have spent many hours previously trying to find this "law" as I have heard this previously and haven't been successful either.
And keyboard worrior is too polite for that child.

Haha, to right kitten.

I am a bit surprised that an indigenous person would want to "own" a pet reptile,usually it is only for food purposes which I would have no problem with.

I am a bit surprised that an indigenous person would want to "own" a pet reptile,usually it is only for food purposes which I would have no problem with.

I was thinking something similar. Being indigenous gives him/her the right to catch any native animal for consumption (correct me if i'm wrong). So one may be able to argue an animal in their care was for this purpose, perhaps fattening it up for a bigger meal or cleansing it's internals etc. However it would probably be pretty obvious to national parks if they conduct a search and find a few different species or a decent size collection that it is not for personal consumption.

I haven't heard of this allowance until now. I know in Victoria your allowed to keep one individual animal (only) without a 'license' (not paying any fees etc), however I still think you need to submit something to say which animal it is your keeping.

Yeah well that's exactly what I thought, I hadn't heard anything about 'laws' or 'rights' (in NSW) that this fool was banging on with.
Thanks anyway guys. I thought to myself why would their be a double standard in NSW especially when it comes to Native Fauna? The licensing was put in place for a good reason, I believe. I just hope the lady who asked the question didn't take this fool's advice. I am just as proud as the next person to have Indigenous heritage & am just as happy as the next person to pay or my license & own my reps legally.
& beside the fact, I'm sure no breeder would just hand over an animal because your Indigenous or claiming to be? Lol.

Is that because all aboriginal people live in humpys in the desert, wear loin clothes and hunt with spears?

Yeah well that's exactly what I thought, I hadn't heard anything about 'laws' or 'rights' (in NSW) that this fool was banging on with.
Thanks anyway guys. I thought to myself why would their be a double standard in NSW especially when it comes to Native Fauna? The licensing was put in place for a good reason, I believe. I just hope the lady who asked the question didn't take this fool's advice. I am just as proud as the next person to have Indigenous heritage & am just as happy as the next person to pay or my license & own my reps legally.
& beside the fact, I'm sure no breeder would just hand over an animal because your Indigenous or claiming to be? Lol.
Why are you happy to pay for a license to keep reptiles legally? What good does it do?

Because it's the law? I don't think I can add much more to that.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway thanks to those who answered my question. Cheers.

Is that because all aboriginal people live in humpys in the desert, wear loin clothes and hunt with spears?

Not at all,yes my statement was aimed at those people who live in the traditional manner but anyone living in town environments indigenous or not should have to live by the same rules as every one else.

- - - Updated - - -

Why are you happy to pay for a license to keep reptiles legally? What good does it do?

That is a whole other argument Warwick and the answer is it does no good except fill government coffers and employ more boofocrats.

That is a whole other argument Warwick and the answer is it does no good except fill government coffers and employ more boofocrats.[/QUOTE]

Thankyou.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back