Breeding feeder fish

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyNut

Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone knew how to breed live feeder fish for a Mertens Water Monitor (Vananus Mertensi)? My go to pet store for live feeder fish (usually bronze commets) have run out of adult fish to feed to my mertens.
At the moment due to fish being univalible he has been eating mice (chopped in 1/2) and other meats which he normally has mixed into his diet.
Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

kind regards
CN

Used to feed mine pilchards and week old chickens

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Go down to your local freshwater waterway and catch some Gambusia? I doubt you could catch enough to feed an adult on a regular basis, I have them in my ponds, can't stop them from breeding.

Comets contain thiaminaise. So not a great idea to feed to well, anything really. And they're high in fat.
Try gambusia/mosquito fish or setup a tank and breed them.

Gambusia would be way too small, and carry a huge fine if you're found to be keeping them. Livebearers would be the easiest option if the animal is still small, platies and mollies both breed quickly.

Livebearers are the best way to go. They breed so quick and easy. Gold fish or bronze commets are easy to breed once you get them going. But they breed in colder water. I know Convict Cichlids breed like crazy, like mentally. Every couple of weeks will spit out heaps, but I do not think they are livebearers. If anything just feed them pilchilds, probably the best thing for them. Not too fatty and have all of what they need.

My boy is about 4 years old and pretty slow growing so he is still small. Bronze comets are totally different species to goldfish as far as I know (I assume the common name applies to more than one species). I always thought pilchards would be a problem being a saltwater fish. FYI I prefer live fish because it gets him something to chase which is entertaining for the both of us and he gets an extra bit of exercise. :)

My boy is about 4 years old and pretty slow growing so he is still small. Bronze comets are totally different species to goldfish as far as I know (I assume the common name applies to more than one species). I always thought pilchards would be a problem being a saltwater fish. FYI I prefer live fish because it gets him something to chase which is entertaining for the both of us and he gets an extra bit of exercise. :)

I'm going to pm a link to you regarding the affects of thiamin deficiency as a result of feeding carp and other fish containing thiaminase.

Ok well after reading that link I'm going to say comets are no longer going to be apart of his diet. So what is a fish that is 1.easy to breed 2.Does not have thiaminase and 3.Healthy for my monitor (eg low in fat) and 4.Legal to breed and feed to my merten's. Btw are yabbies any good? He used to get them as treat but they were really expensive. Just thinking about adding them into the diet as well as the new species of fish (whichever that may be).

Last edited:
Yabbies are easier to breed then fish in my opinion. I don't think you'll be able to breed a fish species larger then mollies & platys, that will supply your Mertens with a constant supply.
How big is this tank your going to use to breed the fish?

Don't have tanks yet because I don't know what species I'm going to breed yet. I know yabbies are easy to breed. I have bred them before. When I asked are they any good, I meant as in health wise. As in are they a good choice for a staple part of his diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back