field guide apps

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phatty

Reaction score
last night I was enlighten to the NT field guild app for apple/ android
I also noticed that there was one for every state it has reptiles, birds, manuals, amphibians, insects ect.
it does need some more species but hey its free and they say will be updated :)

here is a link to the site
http://museumvictoria.com.au/discoverycentre/museum-victoria-apps/national-field-guide-apps/
if you look to the left of the page you will see the different states available

Ive got a few on my phone and ipad, they are great an give a good idea of what your looking at if unsure.

Rick

After installing the SA app, had a browse to see what was in it. It took all of 5 minutes, and it's deleted from my phone. The listing for carpet python (morelia spilota) told me that the common name was diamond python. Expected more from an app created by one of our museums.

since when are geckoes carnivorous :(

I guess it's a start and they are building on it and it does cover a huge range of creatures :)

Last edited:
Yes a carnivore that eats insects is a insectivore.

Last edited:
After installing the SA app, had a browse to see what was in it. It took all of 5 minutes, and it's deleted from my phone. The listing for carpet python (morelia spilota) told me that the common name was diamond python. Expected more from an app created by one of our museums.

Can you enlighten us on what other sp of carpet is native to SA?

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough for all readers. I was disappointed that only the species name was given, and no description of the actual subspecies that is recognized as being native to SA. Worse still, since when has the common name for morelia spilota been diamond python? And last time I checked diamonds aren't native to SA.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough for all readers. I was disappointed that only the species name was given, and no description of the actual subspecies that is recognized as being native to SA. Worse still, since when has the common name for morelia spilota been diamond python? And last time I checked diamonds aren't native to SA.

It is still lacking and since downloading early in the year havent yet seen an update for it, i would of thought there would of been some input from local herp authorities or state based herp groups.

Clearly it needs a lot of time put into each state but its a good basic list, has helped me identify a few birds :)

Rick

Recorded observation in fact state they either have been found or are still found in south Australia.

I especially like the frog calls on it so I can go out and press the button and if the from in looking for is territorial or wants to mate could potentially come to me for photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back