How much do you pay for electricity?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why people have such a hard time with electricity if they haven't got heat cords and mats. We had a woman from some electricity place come and do a check on our house and tell us roughly how much each appliance was costing per month to run. She said that each of the bulbs in the lizard tanks (I had 17 lizards at the time) would only cost 15cents per bulb, per month to run, so the electricity bill that comes with keeping lizards has never been a problem for me, it's more the cost of food that was a problem haha.

You might want to check her math, a 75w globe running 10hrs a day would cost around $6.50 a month to run.

I was just saying what I was told. Also, our electricity bill didn't increase much at all from when we didn't have reptiles to when I first started keeping them, until now. There's been a less than $100 increase, otherwise I wouldn't be able to keep them.

What rates do you pay for pwer in WA?

45.1516 cents per day supply charge and 27.0016 cents per KW plus gst.
Solar panels get 8 cents per KW that goes back onto the grid.
There is still also a carbon off set on the bill, by last one was $65 not sure how its calculated to be honest. They say it will be removed Nov/Dec from future bills.

The 8 cents per KW is what i get ,the government is full of crap about doing anything to promote green energy ,if you have solar discounts are lower.
Any green energy is onley coming from solar panels or wind farms that ime aware of ,mean while they build more coal fuelled power stations and chinese use our coal for their cheap electricity.

In Newcastle NSW I pay 12 cents off peak; 20 cents shoulder and 48 cents peak = average of 42 cents per KW over 3 months, including 79cents per day "availability charge". Where does WA power come from?

In Newcastle NSW I pay 12 cents off peak; 20 cents shoulder and 48 cents peak = average of 42 cents per KW over 3 months, including 79cents per day "availability charge". Where does WA power come from?

From what I can tell it's government owned here. But I really don't know the details other than reading this article the other day.
"Speaking on 720 ABC Perth, Mr Nahan said the cost of producing electricity in WA was 125 per cent higher than in eastern states."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-...reased-to-prop-up-energy-system-nahan/5670556

45.1516 cents per day supply charge and 27.0016 cents per KW plus gst.
Solar panels get 8 cents per KW that goes back onto the grid.
There is still also a carbon off set on the bill, by last one was $65 not sure how its calculated to be honest. They say it will be removed Nov/Dec from future bills.

I just got a quote in Vic and the feed in rate is a crappy 8cents a kwh while I'm charged close to 30cents for anything I use. So it is virtually impossible to have a zero bill unless your system is ridiculously large. Solar is a waste of time in the current climate unless you are predominately using power while the sun is up such as businesses.

I just got a quote in Vic and the feed in rate is a crappy 8cents a kwh while I'm charged close to 30cents for anything I use. So it is virtually impossible to have a zero bill unless your system is ridiculously large. Solar is a waste of time in the current climate unless you are predominately using power while the sun is up such as businesses.
I think the idea with solar is to have a stystem which meets your base load so, in your case, you are effectively getting 30 cents for the solar power produced, and then top up from the grid when the sun dont shine. In our case we use a lot of power for freezing which we use like a battery, by turning off in peak rate periods and on in off peak periods. That is the whole purpose of charging different rates, so as to encourage more even use.

I think the idea with solar is to have a stystem which meets your base load so, in your case, you are effectively getting 30 cents for the solar power produced, and then top up from the grid when the sun dont shine. In our case we use a lot of power for freezing which we use like a battery, by turning off in peak rate periods and on in off peak periods. That is the whole purpose of charging different rates, so as to encourage more even use.

Yes but generally when the sun is up I am at work so my usage is relatively low, ie few appliances like the fridge and whatever the reptiles are drawing. So a solar system would be covering that and any excess power it is producing I would be getting bugger all for.

Then when I get home from work the power usage would jump, TV, cooking, heating/cooling, lights etc. During this time the solar system wouldn't be generating anything except for a few hours during daylight savings. So to cover that usage I would need to produce nearly 4 x as much plus whatever I was using during the day to negate my bill. When you do the sums it isn't viable. Meanwhile my boss has a tiny system but because he signed up early he got a 60cent rebate which makes it very lucrative.

I could I suppose get a small system as you say to cover my daytime load but the reduction in my bill would be minimal and not worth the hassle.

I work within the power industry. Since I started in SA there was only 1 company. Now we have a power station that sells to the transmission company who then sells yo the distribution company who then sells to the retailer who then sells it to the customer.
If each company ads their cut that is alot of mark up from the power station.
Then everything is controlled from the Australian electricity market. If the price they set to generate electricity on the market isnt enough then the power stations just sit there until the bid goes up.
The electricity market was supposed to make the price go down. In fact the operators of the power station will onle generate when they are happy with what they will get paid.
These are reasons why prices are going up. Let me tell you that its only going to get worse.
Now with all the solar panels around the grid dosent work to well from transformers and protection now being back fed. So the power companies pay millions to change transformers and protection and then pass on the cost.

Everyone has a finger in the Coal power pie :) but the consumer.

I dont know why people complain, I didnt Vote Liberal.

Everyone has a finger in the Coal power pie :) but the consumer.

I dont know why people complain, I didnt Vote Liberal.
was no better under the last muppets. Labor/liberal all the same these days

Very true; lets all vote for someone else! No that was sarcasm ! ... Politicians should wear all their sponsors on their clothing like a race car driver.

Comparatively Liberals are much worse, in fact for the environment Australia is going to have a massive 'bill' to pay back.

Australian power to the home use to be ranked among the cheapest in the developing world until companies where privatised under the Howard government. Furthermore the government can't really buy back these power plants; and now major power suppliers are lobbying with the Liberals to squash the carbon tax and solar power...

It is trash to read in the paper that price per Kw is going up because of people with solar power, I paid for my system and I sell per Kw at a cheap price and buy back at a higher price, still keeping in mind I the consumer afford the costs of maintaining my panels and inverter.

Last edited:
Look into the amount of carbon solar panels produce to be made. It's more than they save in their lifetime of the equivalent coal produced power.
Labor had a chance to undo liberals changes. But they didn't. All the same.
WA power isn't privatised. The government owns it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't you think that if private individuals can justify investment in solar with the low feed-in tarrif, whilst buying and maintaining their solar systems at retail value, then a large company with economies of scale in instalation , maintainence and selling, could make a go of it!

200 a month but I think that was due to me leaving the heater on over night >_>

Look into the amount of carbon solar panels produce to be made. It's more than they save in their lifetime of the equivalent coal produced power.
Labor had a chance to undo liberals changes. But they didn't. All the same.
WA power isn't privatised. The government owns it.

"Look into it" I just did.

http://gmienergyexpert.wordpress.co...s-how-much-co2-do-solar-panels-actually-save/

"If we look at the carbon footprint of a solar panel (taking into account its entire lifecycle) the CO2 emission equivalent is around 30g / kWh on average.
In the UK the amount of CO2 emission equivalent from our current electricity supply is calculated to be 451g / kWh since our supply comprises of predominantly fossil fuel sources. From this figure we can see that solar panels are a far ‘greener’ energy source."

30g kwh solar versus 451g kwh coal that is a 1500% increase.

Stop spreading misinformation propagated by the fossil fuel industry.

:)

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't you think that if private individuals can justify investment in solar with the low feed-in tarrif, whilst buying and maintaining their solar systems at retail value, then a large company with economies of scale in instalation , maintainence and selling, could make a go of it!

It is completely justified.

Last edited:
Look into it deeper, the figures you are quoting are far from accurate and don't include things like the carbon footprint created by mining and transporting the raw materials, manufacturing of the plants and equipment used to make solar panels, nor does it take into account transporting them and installing them into the market place. Not to mention the gravitation to Chinese manufactured panels which are estimated to use two times the CO2 emissions. Given the solar industry couldn't get off the ground without significant government subsidy, you have to question the economic application. It is not strange that the few large scale commercial solar power generators world wide do not use solar panels at all? And we've not even considered the impact of what happens to the panels at the end of there life. While the moral arguement to create sustainable and renewable energy sources is very valid, we are a long way from creating true renewable energy sources [MENTION=3268]Drazzy[/MENTION]

Wing_Nut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back