How much do you pay for electricity?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Look into it" I just did.

http://gmienergyexpert.wordpress.co...s-how-much-co2-do-solar-panels-actually-save/

"If we look at the carbon footprint of a solar panel (taking into account its entire lifecycle) the CO2 emission equivalent is around 30g / kWh on average.
In the UK the amount of CO2 emission equivalent from our current electricity supply is calculated to be 451g / kWh since our supply comprises of predominantly fossil fuel sources. From this figure we can see that solar panels are a far ‘greener’ energy source."

30g kwh solar versus 451g kwh coal that is a 1500% increase.

Stop spreading misinformation propagated by the fossil fuel industry.

:)

- - - Updated - - -

It is completely justified.

You just quoted a word press blog! I have one of those for pythons!!! That is the worst link I've seen!!! A personal blog is not factual source for data!
You've lost all the credibility I had granted you till now.

- - - Updated - - -

V

Australian power to the home use to be ranked among the cheapest in the developing world until companies where privatised under the Howard government....

Care to explain how WA prices are so high and owned by the government? Doesn't make sense that you blame privatisation whilst WA, the only government owned electrical supply company is the most expensive...
More info from peoples private blogs perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont have any credibility. I am a nobody. Furthermore I am not trying to take your money, unlike our utilities.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/backgroundbriefing/2014-04-27/5406022

Here is an article about the price of power.

"Mr Thistlethwaite says that the inquiry was presented with many examples of infrastructure being built where it wasn't needed. 'We discovered a network business that had invested $30 million in a substation in Newcastle, and I actually visited the substation. It wasn't connected to the grid. The reason why it wasn't connected to the grid; when the decision was made a couple of years ago to invest in this particular piece of infrastructure, it was projected that the demand would be there. But the demand didn't eventuate.'"

You wouldnt assume therefore power companies are trying to recoup their expenditures out of our pocket ?

- - - Updated - - -

Look into it deeper, the figures you are quoting are far from accurate and don't include things like the carbon footprint created by mining and transporting the raw materials, manufacturing of the plants and equipment used to make solar panels, nor does it take into account transporting them and installing them into the market place. Not to mention the gravitation to Chinese manufactured panels which are estimated to use two times the CO2 emissions. Given the solar industry couldn't get off the ground without significant government subsidy, you have to question the economic application. It is not strange that the few large scale commercial solar power generators world wide do not use solar panels at all? And we've not even considered the impact of what happens to the panels at the end of there life. While the moral arguement to create sustainable and renewable energy sources is very valid, we are a long way from creating true renewable energy sources @Drazzy

Wing_Nut

You understand mining coal is an environmental disaster, you being a keeper of Australian fauna can empathise at that. Animals need homes; having their homes destroyed and ground water polluted, they cant simply just go on a holiday. Re forestation is not just as simple as re-planting a tree, I encourage to read about soil biology, and eco-systems. You also understand that billions of tonns of water is used to mine coal ?

I cant see a positive comparison, period.

Used to be the argument that solar had to reach a 28% efficiecy before it became viable which was passed some years back now. That figure assumed to make it cheaper than coal for energy production. I haven't kept up with it so I dont know whats what now so cant comment.
As to contracts. Energy providers are not required to stand by any contract made with the consumer. They can raise the price at anytime within the period of the contract.

I dont have any credibility. I am a nobody. Furthermore I am not trying to take your money, unlike our utilities.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/backgroundbriefing/2014-04-27/5406022

Here is an article about the price of power.

"Mr Thistlethwaite says that the inquiry was presented with many examples of infrastructure being built where it wasn't needed. 'We discovered a network business that had invested $30 million in a substation in Newcastle, and I actually visited the substation. It wasn't connected to the grid. The reason why it wasn't connected to the grid; when the decision was made a couple of years ago to invest in this particular piece of infrastructure, it was projected that the demand would be there. But the demand didn't eventuate.'"

You wouldnt assume therefore power companies are trying to recoup their expenditures out of our pocket ?

I wouldn't assume anything other than you said privitisation led to higher prices. And WA's non private energy is the highest in Australia. Directly contradicting your misinformed opinion. You keep dragging in new arguments which I find rather odd.

I have a 3.5kw system installed a few years back now (about 4 I think)... Initial cost was around 7K
Two people household plus the standard reps... a few snakes and some lizards

$20 bill last summer quarter

About $200-300 spring and Autumn quarter

$400 for the winter Quarter...

Before solar Bills were around $5-600 a quarter.

I dont live in WA and I dont intend on assisting you with finding out answers, for I am sure you can type that in Google.

I dont live in WA and I dont intend on assisting you with finding out answers, for I am sure you can type that in Google.
I don't need answers. I'm pointing out that you are wrong blaming privatising the utilities didn't lead to higher cost for consumers.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 3.5kw system installed a few years back now (about 4 I think)... Initial cost was around 7K
Two people household plus the standard reps... a few snakes and some lizards

$20 bill last summer quarter

About $200-300 spring and Autumn quarter

$400 for the winter Quarter...

Before solar Bills were around $5-600 a quarter.
Guessing you get more than 8cents a Kw rebate?

I recently did a small scale study on solar power and it's environmental footprint during manufacture and it's offset of that long term and came to the conclusion that it is not environmentally friendly at all. It produces huge amount of toxic byproducts and requires quite a large amount of water during manufacture. Yes I think we need a renewable energy source but I don't believe the current form of solar power is the answer. Granted the manufacture process doesn't "effect" us here in Australia like the coal industry but it still does a lot of damage in the countries that do manufacture them.

Adding how much I pay for electricity:
Last bill was $620 - 2 snakes, 1 gecko, 1 frog tank, 4ft marine tank, 3ft fresh water tank. 3 person household.

I only have the 2 snakes but a big bill because we have a large family. $900 a quater, terrible and huge i know.

I recently did a small scale study on solar power and it's environmental footprint during manufacture and it's offset of that long term and came to the conclusion that it is not environmentally friendly at all. It produces huge amount of toxic byproducts and requires quite a large amount of water during manufacture. Yes I think we need a renewable energy source but I don't believe the current form of solar power is the answer. Granted the manufacture process doesn't "effect" us here in Australia like the coal industry but it still does a lot of damage in the countries that do manufacture them.

Exactly... Though most people are thinking with their wallets rather than thinking about the planet when looking at solar. It was a great campaign to make it sound green. But the reality is that it is not. (much like the greens party really)
Wind turbines seemed to be more acceptable, but they still required a lot of ironand copper to make them from what I could tell.
Wave energy is particularly interesting.

Our bill went from a wasteful $650 a quarter to $550 with the constant nagging for the girls to turn off lights they don't use.
Since then I've added, 1 snake, 2 dragons, 2 green tree frogs and 2 turtles to the menagerie and my latest bill went to $950.

I'm seriously considering some solar to maybe offset some of the costs of electricity.

I just received my cheque from solar for the winter quarter for $719. Annually I get about $3500 on my $17000 investment, however, if I did it now, the return would be less with a lower feed-in tarriff, but then again the cost of the system has about halved.It seems the government incentive achieved its aim and made me aware of power usage. My power usage is slowly dropping with this quarter being $1542. I am achieving this by reducing power usage in the peak billing period by turning off reptile heat and freezers for that 6 hours. I am aiming at retiring and investigating purchasing bulk solar systems through a co-operative system to achieve economies of scale in installation and operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back