Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gutter guard from Bunnings at $22 for a roll that you could build a full size adult mesh wire form :)
As suggested, frame it with a few strips of untreated pine.
true true, might even do this for an outdoor enclosure for the weekly 10 min tanning session

What are you planning on housing in each of the tiers btw?

Um, well not entirely sure to be honest. I have a young BHP I'll be putting in there initially. My partner wants to get a jungle, maybe later this year early next. See what comes up. Otherwise its whatever takes our fancy really. I am only building the top Tier for the moment, with the intent to do the other 2 (or 3) later. I have planned out all 3 tiers so hopefully it looks good, but don't have the resources to do all 3 with heat, thermo, lights right at this time. Really this is also a starter DIY project. If the bookcase fails I'll move to another idea and at least I'll have all the equipment and toys. Hopefully experience too.

I use mesh from Bunnings screwed to the outside of the enclosure, doubled over for my smaller snake.

Went down to Mitre10 yesterday, they had a similar selection to bunnings, excluding the wooden vents. I did pick up 2 snap in vents which bunnings did not have, would have used them in all my enclosures if I could go back!

Went down to Mitre10 yesterday, they had a similar selection to bunnings, excluding the wooden vents. I did pick up 2 snap in vents which bunnings did not have, would have used them in all my enclosures if I could go back!

Are they the 40mm round ones? Ive used a few for the front of some of my enclosures, all you need is a spade bit and a drill.

Rick

[MENTION=37722]Rogue5861[/MENTION] Nah mate, square ones., I do have some of those though.
Just installed the vent today and it is hideous... Stick with what works, wish I had lol
do not buy snap in vents!

9af9fed11dd243a6a06a9bbcec98f530.jpg

bunnings snap round..... going to try. if it fails will make a wood frame with mesh

2upavaqu.jpg

This is the gutter guard that I got from bunnings. I was paranoid about using plastic ones, just incase my little guys grew up to be super strong houdini's lol.
From memory, it was $14 for a length of 1200mm.

Fil...

2upavaqu.jpg

This is the gutter guard that I got from bunnings. I was paranoid about using plastic ones, just incase my little guys grew up to be super strong houdini's lol.
From memory, it was $14 for a length of 1200mm.

Fil...
looks good, how did you hold it in place? Did you jigsaw out the square? I was thinking about doing something similar, but using a wooden frame for the mesh, just for a bit of aesthetics

looks good, how did you hold it in place? Did you jigsaw out the square? I was thinking about doing something similar, but using a wooden frame for the mesh, just for a bit of aesthetics

Yes mate, I used a jigsaw. If you are eyeing off further projects, it might be worth getting a cheap one for home. I just screwed it on. With about 50 screws as you can see lol. I got 4 pieces (of similar size) out of the length, and I'll never have to replace them.

Fil...

Yes mate, I used a jigsaw. If you are eyeing off further projects, it might be worth getting a cheap one for home. I just screwed it on. With about 50 screws as you can see lol. I got 4 pieces (of similar size) out of the length, and I'll never have to replace them.

Fil...
yeah true, been looking st getting one. maybe even worthwhile still for this project. just been avoiding. I'll have a look today. I've been at bunnings everyday for the last 5 days

yeah true, been looking st getting one. maybe even worthwhile still for this project. just been avoiding. I'll have a look today. I've been at bunnings everyday for the last 5 days

Lol, I'm off to manchurch as we speak. You should be able to get one for about $40, hopefully.

Fil...

Fil...

Now to make it look pretty, get 4 lengths of 1" untreated pine, cut the ends at 45 degrees and screw them around the edge of the mesh to frame it and hide the screws that spoil the look :)
Countersink the screws in the framing material. If you are super fussy, you could always collect the wood shavings from cutting some wood, mix it with PVA glue, use it to hide the screws.
If you had a plug cutter you could make it neater but the chances of having to remove the frame are slimmer than I'll ever be :p
Lots of options to think about but I'd certainly frame that vent.

I'm not a fan of plastic, they wear out and get weak. Then the snake can just push it out, which my first stimmie did. Lol

I'm not a fan of plastic, they wear out and get weak. Then the snake can just push it out, which my first stimmie did. Lol

I ended up ditching the snap in vents. Going with square cut and mesh with Frame. I am not using the gutter guard but a high grade fly screen. Seems to hold. This is the least of my troubles. I stuffed the perspex door a little so now I have an 5 mm gap at the top. Not the biggest problem, but it sits in the lounge and every time I am in there I stare at it. I will take pic of vents when done so people can see....if I am not too embarrassed.

Mate I done the mesh with a frame around it on an old thread of mine. If u search ?Another DIY tv cabinet/enclosure thread ? the pics are on page 2. It will give u some idea on what it will look like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back