F10 use in egg incubation

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skakonyi

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has used F10 in their vermiculite for incubating bearded dragons eggs?

if so could you please let me know dosage rates?

thanks

F10? Isn't that an industry grade alchol type of cleaner?

I dunno that doesn't sound safe to me o_O

Why would you even think of using a disinfectant in an incubating tub?

F10

F10 is a vet. grade sterilising agent I was going to use it on the vermiculite to ensure that it was sterile, I am aware the eggs are porous however I would have thought that in low concentration that the F10 would have little to no effect on them

I haven't used it to so call incubate eggs but I have had success removing mould from eggs with very low dosage with no negative effect

Vermiculite is already as sterile as you need it to be for incubation. Eggs do not need a sterile environment to hatch - lizards bury them in soil or termite mounds or whatever - they are exposed to bacteria, fungi, and a heap of other potential pathogens. Other reptiles likewise. There is always the risk that your babies will hatch with reduced immune responses if they are not exposed to some challenges during incubation. If eggs die during normal incubation with vermiculite, they either weren't meant to hatch, or your management parameters are incorrectly set.

Jamie

Yeah I wouldn't be putting anything chemical based in with porous reptile eggs. And python said they will benefit from being exposed to small microbes and bacteria while developing to help strengthen thier immune systems. If they die in the egg then they were probably just weak and would die out of the egg anyway or you incubated them wrongly. I have never bred reptiles but even to me I just really don't think you should use a vet grade sterilizing agent.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

if your that worried you should be able to sterilize with a bit of water and verm in tub and give it microwave till it steams.
Personally id build my own version of SIM tubs. Get 2 click clacks the same size. drill or iron a few holes in the bottom of one, slide it into the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back