Need help putting age questions to bed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yogi

Reaction score
Hello all,

I need your help I volunteer for wires and as of late alot of the snake catchers have decide they can pick the age of the snakes they collect.

So what I am looking for is a photo and an age of your snake. Preferably young and big.

Thanks for your help hopefully I can put this nonsense to bed.

Cheers Jacob

there isn't a way to know for sure. I mean you can generalize it. I have seen yearling jungles (a smaller sub species) bigger then my 2.5 year old bredlis (larger sub species) it all depends how much they are fed. Being wild snakes you have no idea how often they eat. Also need to take into account that they are probably eating 8 months out of each year.
-Liam

Short answer, no they cant.

Their is endless factors that can account into snake growth.

After many years looking at snakes I can usually pic an old snake..... But that is really old snakes only. I have some snakes here pushing twenty (that I have raised) that look no different to when they were 5.

cheers
scott

8e9ane7e.jpg

This is Kingston , she's not long turned 4 and it's over 2.2m and weighs 4.8kg.

4anu6u5u.jpg

That's Kingston with Louis, he's only a year younger, same type ( Morelia bredli) and you can see the obvious size difference. Louis is 1.2 m and weights about 1.7kg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A mentor once said to me that it is easy to sound like an expert if your audience doesn't know much about the discussion topic. The reality is that most people in Australia know little about snakes and particularly wild ones. The next rule is that if you want to sound qualified make statements about things which cannot be proven.
Please dont challenge my statements as they cant be proven or disproven!
I am sure snake catchers in a particular area would get more snakes ages right than wrong, but I guess we'll never know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back