Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuyAdam

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I am new to the reptile world and have just bought my first snake - Coastal Carpet. Did want something that stays a little smaller but am still happy with my new boy.

I am still hesitant towards him though as I have never really handled snakes before and the guy (petshop) I bought it off did not really explain how to. I did handle it for a short time when putting him in his tank (I got it yesterday and only handled it while transferring him to his enclosure - probably about 5min or so) He didn't seem to upset to be handled even though he is only small. What kind of signs will tell me he is upset though? I have never been bitten because I have never owned snakes and I am aware it may not hurt but the initial shock is what I am worried about - I don't want to hurt the cute lil guy.
I am sure I will get use to handling him but is there any pointers I should know.

Also as I have just got the snake how should I first look after it? Some people say to let it settle before feeding him but the person I bought it from said he should be fine to eat straight away as I bought him on a feeding day (he hasn't fed yet though).

Anyways that's my long winded hello, any replies appreciated
Thanks

- ThatGuyAdam

Welcome mate, good to have you aboard.

A weeks settling period is generally called for when getting a snake, particularly a young one and even though it was "feeding day", my personal opinion is that he will be fine for a week before offering food.

You will also pick up on if your snake is happy enough to be handled or not. Generally I wouldn't suggest handing him over for friends or others to hold and any handling time be kept short and sweet. And don't worry about bites, at that size and age it's more the surprise that gets you, it doesn't hurt. If it bites and wraps though, it is an indication it's hungry.

Thats just what works for me. Others have had different experiences so I hope a few in your neck of the woods stop in and say hi on this thread because they will be able to offer their opinions and point you to the nearest herp group/society

Thanks so much for the clarification. I have done my own research but as you said everyone has a different method making the information a little different each time I read, thank you for sharing yours. What you have said is pretty much in line with what I have been doing but just wanted to check so thanks again!!

Hi Adam, welcome and congrats on getting your first python, as above let him settle for 5-7 days then feed and wait another 2 days before handling. When handling make sure most of your support is at the rear half of the snake, you will get used to being bitten. My first python was a biter and I watched a lot of utube for handling tips, as I got better so did the python.
Confidence is the key when handling a snappy python.
Cheers Shane

PS got any pics?

I am so excited to have him but in this instance confident is not my strong point lol. I have handled him once for a short time (moving him to his new enclosure when I got home) and he seems to handle well but my lack of confidence was my down fall as he picked up on it and started to take advantage of the situation. He has not tried to strike but I'm worried my initial shock will result in a flying snake or something like that. I do have a few pics and will upload asap

Below is a pic of my lil guy named Houdini. Not the best pic as he is under the infrared light.

uploadfromtaptalk1408322668047.jpg

Hi Adam I am new too. I've been spending a lot of time on YouTube to get handling tips and tips on just about everything. I've found the old owners advice conflicting with the pet shop. Glad to find this group for clarifying things for me :)

Just because it is on YouTube doesn't mean it 100% credible. I am more after people in the know. I am sure there is some great stuff on YouTube about handling etc. but how do you know the person making the vid is doing correctly? I don't really know much about this field of knowledge and personally I don't want to pick up other peoples bad habits by watching them. I would much prefer to get credible information and documentation and go from there. Please don't take this to offence as its my personal opinion. Thanx for the reply and I hope you and I develop our skills and knowledge about these amazing creatures!!

hello Adam. I am relatively new to the snake world too, and had the same problem with confidence. I just tried to handle my bhp for a few minutes everyday. now I have no fear of him biting me. my carpet hisses sometimes when she is unhappy with me. it's generally when moving around and she doesn't feel secure. don't think that really helps you much, but there is nothing you can do to build confidence except handle your snake a little bit each day.

Signs to watch for if hes starting to stress would be elevated breathing, not settling meaning moving quickly ( trying to escape ) etc etc. As others have mentioned, keep handling sessions short like 1- 5 minutes at first then increase the time each few days.

YOU WILL get bitten a few times, it comes with the hobby. If he does bite you it will most likely be a tiny nip, it might not even draw blood. Nips, are just a way for the snake to tell you to bugger off. If he bites, latches on and wraps around you thats a pretty good indication that hes hungry.

Also make sure you support the snake, he will feel much safer that way. He will wrap himself around you a little bit, thats just him anchoring himself so he doesn't fall.

He is adorable by the way, and I'm sure when you start handling him regularly you will wonder what you were worried about in the first place :D

PS as I mentioned in other posts, what I did with my darwin was I put my hand in the tank without looking, then I just touched her gently. This helped me get over my nerves ALOT. Though when I got her from the shop she bit me about 7 times or so. I just convinced myself that she loved me and they were her love bites. She is an absolute puppy now days though, I read somewhere that darwins can be really agressive but she is so placid and care free that you can touch her cheeks without any reaction at all. That wasn't from us always doing that, she is just THAT aloof.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back