Snake size vs enclosure size???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrt1976

Reaction score
Hello,

I am sadly looking for a new snake due to the death of my stimsons python, I am looking at getting something bigger but not sure on how big to go.

I want to get something that will be comfortable in a 900mm x 600mm x 600mm enclosure also something with a calm temprament as this will be my second snake.
thanks in advance for any recomendations...

Some of the smaller sub-species of Carpets or a Woma would fit in that pretty happily

If you don't mind me asking, How did your stimsons die?

Unfortunately the cause of death is unknown as he died while a friend was looking after him as I was on holiday. he was fine up until then so it's a little annoying to not know...

Woma? No way! Maybe a juvie but nothing older... I'd say a frog, or a few scorpions...

Woma? No way! Maybe a juvie but nothing older... I'd say a frog, or a few scorpions...

Umm what? Have you read the dimensions in the OP wrong? That size even fits the NSW CoP which sets limits that are commonly regarded as being unnecessarily large

Umm what? Have you read the dimensions in the OP wrong? That size even fits the NSW CoP which sets limits that are commonly regarded as being unnecessarily large
Might I enquire as to whom finds the NSW COP enclosure size for womas unnecessarily large?

I own a 1.5m woma and I couldn't imagine stuffing him into a 900x600x600 box!

Might I enquire as to whom finds the NSW COP enclosure size for womas unnecessarily large?

I own a 1.5m woma and I couldn't imagine stuffing him into a 900x600x600 box!

For some species the COP sizes are unnecessarily large on top of that government interference is over the top.

Not all womas are created equally,some types grow much larger than others.

I prefer my enclosures to be a bit bigger than necessary and don't think that the COP sizes for pythons is excessive large.

Just remember that even if the enclosure is huge, he will ALWAYS be in his hide. Snakes love small spaces, so it doesn't have to be excessive for him to thrive in :D

Alright I'll concede that python enclosure sizes are more reasonable than a lot of other species but I stand by my first post and a smaller locality Woma would be perfectly fine in that. The whole debate may be moot anyway considering the OP seems to have disappeared

I can't see why we can't continue this discussion without the OP.lol. [MENTION=38897]Beans[/MENTION] , although snakes spend a lot of the time that you see them inside their hide doesn't mean that is where they spend all of their time. My snakes venture all around their enclosures for a few hours after dark and I think that a large area that includes both vertical and horizontal obstacles not only promote bowel movement but also help to maintain good muscle tone. I see this type of enclosure as being a vital part in enrichment for my animals.

We keep several of our Gammons and an MD in enclosures roughly that size. Don't see it as a problem as we get them out regularly.

[MENTION=38465]pinefamily[/MENTION] , I agree that enclosure size isn't a big issue if proper exercise is given to the snakes.

My 1 and a half year old darwin is in a 100 liter tub atm, shes easily longer than it's length though, but with regular handling and stretching out on the carpet ( and maybe some massages to be sure ) she has no problem with bowel movements. She wont be in a small tub for the rest of her life though, when money permits I'm gunna find a nice wooden cabinet and do one of those awesome conversions I see on here.

- - - Updated - - -

My 1 and a half year old darwin is in a 100 liter tub atm, shes easily longer than it's length though, but with regular handling and stretching out on the carpet ( and maybe some massages to be sure ) she has no problem with bowel movements. She wont be in a small tub for the rest of her life though, when money permits I'm gunna find a nice wooden cabinet and do one of those awesome conversions I see on here. There is also some very thick branches of varying heights in there too :)

Just remember that even if the enclosure is huge, he will ALWAYS be in his hide. Snakes love small spaces, so it doesn't have to be excessive for him to thrive in :D

Wrong.

My pythons are active and frequently not in their hide. It might have something to do with having SPACE TO MOVE!

My 1 and a half year old darwin is in a 100 liter tub atm, shes easily longer than it's length though, but with regular handling and stretching out on the carpet ( and maybe some massages to be sure ) she has no problem with bowel movements. She wont be in a small tub for the rest of her life though, when money permits I'm gunna find a nice wooden cabinet and do one of those awesome conversions I see on here.

I wonder how darwin pythons possibly survive in the wild with no humans around to massage their poop out? Oh wait, no I don't: they stretch out, move around and [SHOCK: WAIT FOR IT] are not ALWAYS in their "hide" !!!

And pythons in the wild don't fare as well generally. Keeping them in captivity means looking after them better than they would be in the wild.

And pythons in the wild don't fare as well generally. Keeping them in captivity means looking after them better than they would be in the wild.

That must explain why there are many cases of reptile obesity, burns, RI and septicaemia in captivity (just to mention a few!)

I was referring to what should happen: "keeping them in captivity means looking after them better....". Some people should not be allowed to keep reptiles.
Just my opinion in a topic debate, without the need for sarcasm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back