het markers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boadave

Reaction score
I have 2 female poss het albino Darwin's I was wondering are there any markers to look for in het carpets as there are in other pythons?

Last edited:
I don't believe there are any "known" het markers "visual" yet. BUT in birds there are, their toenails are the giveaway. solar 17 ~B~

What you'll find in pythons are the visual hets are in the incomplete dominate mutations, not the recessive mutations.

thanks i know there are markers in certain ball python hets & also some burm hets so was just wondering if it was the same in carpets

I'm probably wrong about this but I thought that for at least Albino Darwin hets you had a chance at telling because some get a mix of light and dark stripes up and down there body. Just from own experience all hets and normals I've seen (in pet store for example) aren't hugely different but there was a noticable lightness in parts of the hets.

I'm probably wrong about this but I thought that for at least Albino Darwin hets you had a chance at telling because some get a mix of light and dark stripes up and down there body. Just from own experience all hets and normals I've seen (in pet store for example) aren't hugely different but there was a noticable lightness in parts of the hets.

No no no no no

As has already been stated you cannot visually tell the difference between a normal or a het.

Then please explain why they look different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect example of what I'm talking about is in the darwin thread at the moment. There is a picture if a het posted by Shane09. And its quite obvious that its not a normal.

Different breeding lines whether they be normals,hets or albinos look different to other lines. Particularly those lines where breeders have been developing theirs for multiple generations.
As an example I have been breeding darwins for around 15 years and albino darwins just over 10 and mine do look different to others as I have been selectively breeding them for multiple generations now.Introducing fresh blood into those lines also adds to the different look you are seeing.

To add to that if a breeder produces animals from het x het pairings then it stands to reason that all the non albinos in that clutch would look fairly similar.Those non albinos in those clutches contain hets and normals and no way of telling what's what short of breeding them and seeing what resulted.

Last edited:
Thank you, as I said I was probably wrong. But now i know why they can appear it.

Also I wasn't questioning your knowledge on this just so you're aware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back