Feeding question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Madmick149

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My little guy is not feeding
iv had him for 11 days now and have him in a sistema container the same as the shop he came from.
They told me he was on pinky rats and gave me some and I was told he was dew to eat 7 days ago.
I have offered 3 times with no luck yet I have tried to feed as reqamended by the shop but now wondering if a pinky rat is just to big he gets in to strike pose and looks intersted but nothing.
he is a Stimson Python and only a little guy I can't upload a pic but size is small 28g and about 30 cm long
would it be worth trying something smaller in size

I have a stimmie about the same length he's currently on fuzzy mice.

What was he feeding on when you got him?
Also my little man is a pretty shy eater, he prefers to eat in the very back of his hide, so at the moment I'm just leaving the food in there and checking back later on and it's normally gone. Maybe that could be the same with yours? It sounds like hes a little unsure. You're just going to have to persist with him, people often give up after about 10 min of trying. Just try and get him to strike at his food, even if out of annoyance. I willing to bet once he does he will eat. If that still doesn't work, then just leave the pinky in there with him over night, check back in the morning and he will likely eat it during the night.

I was told he was on pinky rats and I spend about half hour each time and let him tast the rat wiggle it around iv left it there for about half hour
he looks intersted. But no eating or strike

Nine times out of ten its a temperature issue or lack of privacy.
I doubt that the shop would give you pink rats unless that was what he was feeding on.
Like Andy says- what is the temperature, and at 5 in the morning not midday?

Have you tried just chucking it in htere and then covering him up?

Feeding at night maybe?

I try feeding at night but not tried just leaving it in and covering up ill give it a go and might get some fuzzies tomorrow if I have no luck

Yeah he might just want some quiet time to eat his foods.

Give it a go anyway, and if it's no dice then maybe try a fuzzy mouse

Is that a measured temperature or just what the thermostat is saying?

Temps sound ok then, the other issue that I can see is that you have tried to feed him 3 times in 11 days. I generally try to feed my new snakes once after a couple of days to settle in and then if it doesn't take it leave it at least 7 full days in full privacy before trying again. I will try teasing the snake for about 10-15 min by gently tapping it around the face with the pinky and try rubbing it on the neck just behind the head. If it doesn't take it then I will leave the pinky in the enclosure overnight near the entrance to its hide. Can we also see a picture of your tub please?

It may be temperature related, but in my opinion rats of any size are not appropriate for Stimson's Pythons, and especially one that's only 1 foot long. Stimmies are perfectly happy with mice of appropriate size throughout their lives, and mice are thus a far better option for a small species such as this. Try fuzzy/small weaner mice - you may get a better response, and stick with mice as it grows.

Jamie

I picked up some fuzzes on my way home I'll give one a go tonight and using a inferred thermometer he was 30.7 on the body

Leave for another week as trying to feed it 4 times in 12 days is way too much.You run the risk of conditioning him to associate rodents with a with a stressful situation which will make matters worse.

The problem has been solved the shop was open today so I went in to ask a few questions turns out he just needed me to be a little more aggressive. While I was wiggling the rat he needed me to shake it almost on his nose

Yeah sometimes they are a bit timid, but if you annoy then enough to strike out of annoyance if nothing else worked then thats good. Hopefully now he will just eat with ease for you.

I mean if no other method of feeding as worked, and without resulting to assist for force feeding, then a ****** off defensive bite can make them realise its food. Most f the time, once its in tier mouth they will eat :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back