Unwell reptile PLEASE HELP me help my Jacky Dragon!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KyKyLaa

Reaction score
I have 2 Jacky Dragons "Amphibolurus muricatus" that hatched in December, all has been great, but the one that was bigger & quicker and more of a bully to start with (Buzz), has slowly deteriorated and become slow and limp and doesn't seem to be walking right and the other has grown much bigger (Pixie), In May Buzz was unwell and it looked like he was gunna die, I kept sitting him in the water bowl he eventually recovered!! Then a month ago I notice his back toes curling backwards after a week or so I realised he was shedding & that could have been the cause.....but after a full shed and a few weeks he has gotten worse, still eats really well but he can't hold on a vine properly, walking strangely, just limp & not crazy like he used to be! I have these 2 jackys, a blue tongue and a water dragon, all still juveniles, I'm only new to reptiles but I do my best to research everything I can to provide the best possible care to any animal I come to own, I'm really worried bout my lil guy, the other one stresses out when I take him out, we can't loose him!!! Please some advice anyone!!!!
e00b59be1808bf2e60e70a6441f06979.jpg
80a0f5a44fa05ed74c27bdddfc1fe62c.jpg
a359e1a2c83ab979cb2f49ec85726f1a.jpg

They have a heat mat, heat lamp & UVB, and also get calcium powder on their crickets and occasionally get woodies, even occasionally get sprayed with water just so I can see them drink!

Could various reasons for this, just from looking at the picture and the behavior you have described it looks like the bigger one is being dominate over Buzz and this could be resulting in Buzz not eating or basking enough. You may need to separate them so they can't see each other so Buzz is not being intimidated every day.

You setup looks good, how far is the heat light from the area they bask in? Reason I ask is that it looks a bit far from the base and platform - I try to get my basking lights within 30cms of the basking area I have setup for my dragons.

Do you have a portable enclosure or something to allow Buzz to be put outside in the sun on his own? You need to ensure you have shelter and water in the setup but a few hours of sun a day would do wonders for a unresponsive dragon - I had a similar issue a few years ago with Pygmy Dragons so I made an open enclosure with 10mm mesh all round and allow my dragon to sit out in the sun for a few hours a day, the difference within a week was amazing.

These are all things to try but ideally if you don't see any improvements you should really seek professional advice from a reptile vet.

Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to ask, is he passing food properly or does he seem blocked up?

You have to seperate them. That cage is too small for 2 of them to be in there with no issues. If you were going to have 2 of them in the same tank, you realy need to have 2 basking spots with 2 uv spots so if one gets bulied he can go to the other spot.

For now, get another container or tank, and put the weaker one in there. Focus on his diet and make sure he is getting everything he needs. Maybe bump up the heat just a little too. If he is dehydrated you can give him some Gatorade to replace electrolytes. (just dilute some in some water and either bathe him in it, or try and get him to drink it. Can also put it on his salads) If he isn't passing poo, you're gunna have to either feed him baby food from like a jar with supplements in. Or make him a salad smoothie that he can lick up of his bowl.Avoid things like wood roaches and things like that for now. Just give him his crickets, and salad. You can also rub his tummy to stimulate a poo and put a few drops of olive oil on his food to help lubricate his guts.

Along with that make sure his temps are good. And make sure he has his own uv and basking area.

Just for future reference, never house jacky dragons, pygmies or beardies in the same enclosure, because dominance issues like this will often arise and cause major issues. Some times they dont, but most the time it happens and its just safer not to.

Ok these 2 have been together since they hatched, I have seen a bit of bullying but from both sides they actually get along really well, I do keep a close eye on them as I have read they may need separation as you both say, they were both doing lil hand waves n stuff but haven't been for a month or so, they sleep & bask together the other one actually frets when I separate them, I have not long moved them to this enclosure from a smaller glass tank, the heat lamp is about 20cm from the platform but it could be a stronger one the previous bulb was way to strong for these lil guys, I'm going to make a lil portable enclosure now that is a great idea thank you!! As for passing food no he hasn't been for about 4 days untill now I've just looked & buzz has done a massive one!!

Gatorade wow will that really help?? I try to spray them with water everyday or so, as I see buzz drink more like that, what salad do u recommend for these guys I'm willing to try anything.
Honestly they get along really well, I pay attention to what I research, and gather my information from more than one source, if I seen any bulling at all I would separate ASAP, he eats I make sure they get fair share and watch them eat everytime, thank you both so very much for your advice, I really do appreciate every word, I'm going to try it out and will let you know what's happening in a few days!!

if you dont seperate them now,it till only get worse. but hey your animals.

Not killing each other isn't tantamount to getting along, I think you're mistaking their close proximity to each other for friendship. Regardless of whether or not your unwell dragon is that way as a result of bullying, it's wise to separate them on the grounds that one is unwell for that reason alone.

Last edited:
^ this. Just because they seem to "buddies" they aren't.

Ones getting dominated, and is suffering for it.

Just put him into a new seperate tank. You wanted advice and you're getting it.

- - - Updated - - -

I have seen a bit of bullying but from both sides they actually get along really well

So that's an issue you have to fix.

Split em up. And yes gatorade can help with dehydration, its made to replace electrolytes.

+1 on separation & ensure temps are correct... It does appear from the photo that the basking spot is a long distance from the heat source... There is a product called "spark" made by VetaFarm that you dilute with water & soak your dragon & will assist in replenishing electrolytes... In addition to this you can administer a product called "herpaboost" also made by VetaFarm... Readily available at most pet shops... I have used both with effective results...

http://vetafarm.com.au/product/herpaboost/

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&s...9oGoCg&usg=AFQjCNFbC8FpaHSAQygsAaXXcrV6By8J6w

I do keep a close eye on them as I have read they may need separation as you both say, they were both doing lil hand waves n stuff but haven't been for a month or so, they sleep & bask together the other one actually frets when I separate them,

Hi,

I understand your attachment to them and think that it's a good thing to keep them together but the truth is, that it's not a good idea to ignore the advice given to separate them.

One is definitely dominating the other. Although you might not have observed the hand waving lately doesn't mean zap! Unless you observe them continuously throughout the period they are exposed to light you wouldn't really know anyway.

If your not aware the hand waving is not being friendly it is a threat display. They bask beside each other because there is only the one spot to bask and the larger one is dominating the best position. They sleep together because there is only one place to sleep. Other than the hide there doesn't seem to be any type of cover where the small one can get away out of the site of the larger one and this will cause it to stress out. They are not emotionally attached because, unlike humans, they have a very small primitive brain that is only concerned with the basis instincts of survival and emotional attachment is not one of them. They are territorial and that is why one will always dominate the other.

Cheers,

George.

Too much calcium isnt a good thing, it changes the way they metabolize it and they actually end up getting less when they really need it. I would reduce the calcium dusting to every 2nd feed, no more.

I feel sorry for your Jackys. They didn't ask for this and they have to rely on you for thier wellbeing. Not separating them even just because is sick is the most selfish thing I have ever heard

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi & Thank-you to those of you offering advice,
I do appreciate most inputs here and will be sure to take it on board. Thanks
Hi, No-one is "demanding" you do anything. That is the trouble with the written word, it can be taken the wrong way so easily. No-one is having a dig at you or your keeping, we all have the reptiles' best interests at heart.
Nearly all of the suggestions above are things I would have suggested myself, that's why I have liked the posts. If you do separate your jacky's, you will see an improvement in a matter of days.

People here have given you the best course if action for your problem and a lot of people can speak from first hand experiences. If it's so repetitive and found elsewhere then there is a high probability that it's correct.

I see what your saying, it's just a pain when your wanting as much info as possible, and the same person keeps repeating themselves, there is some very useful information I have been given and I'm willing to try it all, I just wanted to inform myself before I jumped straight into anything, I have made a lil portable mesh enclosure to put him outside and in various windows throughout the house, and now have set myself the task of making yet another enclosure that will house both but separately, I even put a lot of thought and planning into the enclosures, I think I just like to be over informed!!

On topic, try and get hold of some "spark", it's pretty good stuff. If you can't find any, let me know I will post you some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back