Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Bitey

Reaction score
Albino Darwin Carpet nearly 2yo with what looks like a thin brown scab of some sort on belly a few inches above vent. Sort of has the look and feel of dried toffee.
He won't completely straighten out that part of his body so seems to be causing some discomfort. Apart from that behaviour is completely normal. Feeding as normal. Handling without problem.
No changes in environment, housed in a 4x2x2, heated by heat cord under a tile which maxes out about 38 degrees. Looks almost like a burn but there is nothing he could have burnt himself on.

Any ideas on what it is and how to treat it?

Thanks.

17193a5cbb6a5fb7fb6786886a6851a5.jpg
bef6d59482e43fd4a83d70124c23bb55.jpg

Looks like scale rot, but I'm no expert. Let someone else tell you for sure. But I would take it to the vet anyway.

Almost looks like a thick cut that's healing or could be scale rot. Hard to tell from a picture. I would be consulting a vet.

It may be a burn one of my coastals is a heat lover and her thermostat blew I didn't realize until the morning that she had not moved from the heat until it was to late, her burn was very similar in look, I ended up having to keep her dry so she didn't get scale rot by only putting her water bowl in her enclosure for 2 hrs every second day so as not to have to much moisture in the enclosure, I also had to rub an antibiotic cream on the scab as it had started to get pussy by the end of the week, all up it took about 2 months for the scab to drop off, now if you look at her you wouldn't know she had even been burnt as you can't see where the burn was, the best advice I have for you is to take it to the vet otherwise it may get worse and could take years to heal as they are very slow healers

Thanks for the advice.

Vet appointment it booked but I couldn't get him there til Monday.
Considered scale rot but enclosure is clean and dry so thought it unlikely. Looks like a cut or burn but there is nothing he could have cut or burnt himself on. Guess I'll soon find out.

[MENTION=28441]Mr.Bitey[/MENTION] thumbs up for booking a vet appt.

I think this highlights how important it is to regularly check/handle them, as even with carefully monitored conditions anything can happen.

Turns out it was a burn. Vet thinks it would have been during his last shed when the skin was sensitive. Possibly a power surge pushed the temp up a little higher. Apparently it doesn't need to get excessively hot to cause damage to the new skin.

Fortunately it's fairly mild and seems to be healing well. And he's otherwise healthy. Just gave us a cream to apply daily to help with the healing process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back