Correct globes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lambbosbread

Hey there,
so I have been looking for 50w floodlight globes for my sand monitor enclosure but I'm struggling to find them, can someone let me know if they know we're to look. I tried bunning and masters but no luck. Or any other recommendations on globes that I should use.thanks

They sell 50 w floodlights at bunnings but I do not think that they have a wide enough beam or hot enough basking spot for a monitor.

1510123ae6942db4c0a3f6923ddc9cc3.jpg

I would look at using maybe 100w or even 150w floodlight also available from bunnings as these have a wider beam to fit your monitor in and a hotter basking temperature.

32af2fa49e8ea465e44277f785d39a1d.jpg

I do not own any monitors so the wattages are a guess but have measured hot spots on the 50 w and only get about 37 at 30cm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey mate, oh thanks for the links. Yer I have a 150 watt hanging about 20cm in the air at the moment but it's only getting the basking spot to around 45c, there is also a fitting attached to a log at the rear of tank same distance away but from the rear rather then top that I had infrared lights in for night time, but I was thinking of adding 2 50w globes just to try and get the temp bait higher but was sure if it would be to hot of a beam and give her thermal burns. Thanks for reply

45-48 is where you want to be according to this post

Code:
 [URL="http://www.vitalexotics.com/water-monitor-black-dragon-care-sheet/"]Achieving basking temps of 120-150 degrees is not that hard. You do not need huge wattage or special bulbs. Many successful keepers achieve these temps using 45 or 65 watt flood (not spot, as they produce too concentrated of light focus which can burn your monitors skin) bulbs that you purchase from your local store. The key is to mount your bulbs in the enclosure in a manner that the monitor can bask within a safe range of distance from the bulbs, yet close enough to reach the desired temps. Mount your bulbs on something or in a way that will protect them from being damaged or reached by your monitor from the top and sides, while leaving the bottom open to allow the heat and light to broadcast down onto the basking area. Your monitor will most likely be able to reach the bulbs from the underside if it wants to, but usually these animals are intelligent enough to learn not to touch them, and it they do touch them for a moment, by using low wattage (45w or 65w) the temps of the bulb are usually not enough to hurt the animal. Numerous bulbs are mounted in a line with 10-18 inches in between them to provide a larger basking area for longer or adult animals. You want to heat the entire animal, not just one small area of it as this will cause your animal to burn the focused area as it tries to heat up the rest of its body. Design your set-up with the idea in mind that you may have to adjust the basking area height or position to get your desired temps or positioning in the enclosure. UVA and UVB producing bulbs may be used to provide or in conjunction with your basking lights, and while if used properly they should not hurt your monitor, there are many successful keepers who do not use UVA or UVB at all for their enclosures. It is believed that due to the diet of whole prey items, monitors receive much or all of the proper vitamins/nutrients needed for proper growth and development without the assistance of UVA or UVB. Many herbivorous reptiles seem to benefit from UVA or UVB but this does not seem to be the case with monitor[/URL]s

45-48 is where you want to be according to this post
I have heard a few members of this site who keep monitors say that hotter is preferred. I don't actually keep monitors so I can't talk from experience though. [MENTION=37722]Rogue5861[/MENTION] or @crocdoc might be able to talk from his experience.

Last edited:
We use the Nelson Par38's, as shown by [MENTION=34534]andynic07[/MENTION] above, in our ackie enclosure. It is a glass one, so we need the higher wattage to achieve the required basking temps. We regularly get 50-60 degrees this way.

Hey there,
so I have been looking for 50w floodlight globes for my sand monitor enclosure but I'm struggling to find them, can someone let me know if they know we're to look. I tried bunning and masters but no luck. Or any other recommendations on globes that I should use.thanks

What does your setup look like? I use a 120watt floodlight in with my gilleni and it gets the hotspot to around 70-90 degrees.

Perhaps you can get the bulb closer to the basking spot?

I have heard a few members of this site who keep monitors say that hotter is preferred. I don't actually keep monitors so I can't talk from experience though. [MENTION=37722]Rogue5861[/MENTION] or @crocdoc might be able to talk from his experience.

Thanks mate for the plug :)

45-48 degrees are what a beardie will use during summer, monitors definately like it hotter. I have 2 basking spots for my ridge tailed monitors one at 65-75c and another at 55-65c, both of which are used regularly by them. I have a cold end temp of around 28-35c which seems to work really well for them, any colder and they seem to bask for longer periods which is unusual behaviour.

For medium monitors providing a retes stack seems to be the best way to provide high temps while providing security, they are very skittish by nature and like tight hides. Regardless of wether they are ground dwellers or semi aboreal they all species of varanids seem to need these high temperatures to function correctly.

de7y9ape.jpg

I use 2x 25w gu9 halogens up top for the 55-65c temps and 2x 40w gu9 halogens over the retes stack.

Rick

Last edited:
Yea drop the lights down and i would even group to two lamps, that why the basking spot will be more spread out and wont burn your sandy.

Rick

I use these bulbs, but a few in a row to cover the monitor and close enough to get a hot spot.

1510123ae6942db4c0a3f6923ddc9cc3.jpg

DO NOT USE ONE OF THESE BULBS (example below) IN A HIGH WATTAGE! The little hexagon of clear glass in the centre of the globe produces a hot spot relative to the outer parts of the bulb and this has been known to cause burns in monitors. Anything hotter than a 100W in this format is potentially dangerous. What you don't want is an unevenly heated basking spot.

32af2fa49e8ea465e44277f785d39a1d.jpg

I use these bulbs, but a few in a row to cover the monitor and close enough to get a hot spot.

DO NOT USE ONE OF THESE BULBS (example below) IN A HIGH WATTAGE! The little hexagon of clear glass in the centre of the globe produces a hot spot relative to the outer parts of the bulb and this has been known to cause burns in monitors. Anything hotter than a 100W in this format is potentially dangerous. What you don't want is an unevenly heated basking spot.
That is good to know about the higher rating globes. Glad I tagged you in the post now as I am looking at getting a tristis tristis in the future and I want to get the setup right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back