Incubator help!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rissatimmy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!!

Yay so my spotted is graved !! this is my first time breading - and i honestly didn't think i would get it first go..

Now i need some help with organising a incubator, i have seen a lot of home made ones. i would love some tips and basically what to do.

Ummm I have never bred before and wouldn't know the first thing about it??but I do know I would definitely read a whole heap of stuff before giving it a go,especially before my female was gravid. Have you read up on the incubation process, just curious?

Snakeranch use the water method whilst having the eggs lay above on a rack at a certain temperate I believe (don't hate me if I'm wrong) need to be kept at a constant temperate. Its alot of preparing and work to maintain a solid environment.

yes i have,
many hours of research, sometimes its good to just get some input directly when I'm making my incubator - I'm debating if i should
- do a wine fridge incubator
- a foam box
- just buy one ect

im curious to see what substrate people uses like : [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Vermiculite or ect [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Thanks for your concern if my post came across like i didn't do my research, but i can assure you i did...

Just wanna see other peoples inputs.

Thanks ;)
[/FONT]

- - - Updated - - -

Oh thanks heaps :)

I use a converted bar fridge for gecko eggs, and an old 3 foot melamine enclosure for snake eggs. (Fits bigger tubs) Wrap the heat cord all around the enclosure so heat doesn't just come from 1 area. I put as much bottled water in as possible to help maintain steady temps.
Last year I left my diamond eggs in her laying box surrounded by damp sphagnum moss, not touching the eggs though, I just sealed the hole, and they looked great all the way thru incubation and they hatched perfectly.
I find the temps jump around as bit in the first few days so it's best to have it running for about a week before you're girl lays.

I use a converted bar fridge for gecko eggs, and an old 3 foot melamine enclosure for snake eggs. (Fits bigger tubs) Wrap the heat cord all around the enclosure so heat doesn't just come from 1 area. I put as much bottled water in as possible to help maintain steady temps.
Last year I left my diamond eggs in her laying box surrounded by damp sphagnum moss, not touching the eggs though, I just sealed the hole, and they looked great all the way thru incubation and they hatched perfectly.
I find the temps jump around as bit in the first few days so it's best to have it running for about a week before you're girl lays.

I have converted a bar fridge, i have just put the heat cord all around the fridge, and its connected to a dimming thermo - i was going to use vimiclaite

is there any other tips you have for me ?

I have converted a bar fridge, i have just put the heat cord all around the fridge, and its connected to a dimming thermo - i was going to use vimiclaite

is there any other tips you have for me ?

Have it set up well in advance and make sure your temp is stable. If you are getting hot spots you may need to add a 12v fan.

Vermiculite works well, using a 50:50 or a tad drier mix with water. (by weight)

Have it set up well in advance and make sure your temp is stable. If you are getting hot spots you may need to add a 12v fan.

Vermiculite works well, using a 50:50 or a tad drier mix with water. (by weight)

ahhh so confusing - i think i have done it all wrong,

what are the temps i should have the thermostat set at ? and do i just put say 1 cup vermiculite to 1 cup water in a container and put the eggs on top then put the lid on top and sit that in the bar fridge on a rack ?

measure the temp all around the incubator regularly with an infra red temp gun, (one of those point and click type temperature reading things) dont rely on what your thermostat says. I set mine to measure around 31C.

The vermiculite to water is measured by WEIGHT, not volume, the mix is pretty dry.

ahhh so confusing - i think i have done it all wrong,

what are the temps i should have the thermostat set at ? and do i just put say 1 cup vermiculite to 1 cup water in a container and put the eggs on top then put the lid on top and sit that in the bar fridge on a rack ?

Forget about what the thermostat says, get an additional thermometer and set up an egg container with a probe from the thermometer in it. (you will need to drill a small hole in the egg container for this, otherwise place the probe in the same position as the egg container itself) The temp you calibrate it to is debatable, though I find around 31.5C works well. (Go by what it says on the thermometer NOT the thermostat dial.) You will also need the thermostat probe either in the incubator or in the egg container.

For the vermiculite mix you need to do it by WEIGHT, so get out your kitchen scales put the tub on and hit the tare button. Then add the vermiculite and note how much weight of vermiculite you have added. Then hit the tare button again and add the same weight of water. (Yes it does seem like too little water when you do it for the first time) The mix should just clump when you squeeze it together but water shouldn't drip out.

I have been using the suspended method for over 10 years for python and monitor eggs. I use broccoli boxes on the floor with pulse proportional thermostats and an additional thermometer just to make sure. Never had a drama with eggs hatching. In general, I have a 100% hatch rate. I had 53 Wheatbelt eggs laid last season and a 100% hatch rate. Way to go I reckon.

I have been using the suspended method for over 10 years for python and monitor eggs. I use broccoli boxes on the floor with pulse proportional thermostats and an additional thermometer just to make sure. Never had a drama with eggs hatching. In general, I have a 100% hatch rate. I had 53 Wheatbelt eggs laid last season and a 100% hatch rate. Way to go I reckon.
Have you got any pictures of how your set up looks?
I have heard good thing about the Broccoli boxes and the suspension method. I will not be breeding anything however would be keen to see how it looks and possibly in two years start the breeding process.

Anthony
aka White Shadow

I will post some pics when I fly home from work.

[MENTION=32490]rissatimmy[/MENTION] I have sent you a PM.

i have a incubator that i bought off gumtree
works completely fine
every gram of vermiculite you put
you need to pul 1ml of water
100g of vermiculite = 100ml of water
every week open the container you have in your incubator so it gets rid of the mould
keep the incubator at a certain temperature
with a fan that will spread the air through it
correct me if im wrong but thats what i have!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back