Tame a Albino Darwin?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simon.chen

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just got a albino darwin today, absolutely stunning!way more than my expectation .

However , she bites me couple of times when I put her into the enclosure.it doesn't hurt at all due to its only 8 month old. but I am affried its gonna damage her tooth.

I also don't want she bites me forever ( adult bite gonna hurt pretty bad from what I heard!!)

Is there anybody have experience with this situation? She is almost a juvi but still not calm any idea guys?

I hope she can be my best handler as most of the albinos

cheers

She is probably biting you out of stress/defence. Leave her alone for a fortnight and start handling in small amounts.

She is probably biting you out of stress/defence. Leave her alone for a fortnight and start handling in small amounts.

yes man, I am leaving her alone right now , she just start to get out of the hide .

The seller told me she have been cage defensive for a quite long time,because he didn't have time to handle the snake.

Is is handle every day is too much?or is 3 times a week better?

Every day is too much. I would handle a juvie maybe once a week, allowing for feeding times. Try putting her in a clean pillow case when you handle her.it may help her get used to being handled and she will feel safer in a dark place

Hey mate, Ive raised many hatchys through to adult and the key is to know when your snake is stressed out, every snake is different but if you can tell if they are stressed it makes it easier. Also don't go from playing with your rats to handling because there is a 100% chance of getting bitten. And another thing i do is to teach them they aren't getting food by getting them out with a hook then handling.
Hope this helps, Ash

Every day is too much. I would handle a juvie maybe once a week, allowing for feeding times. Try putting her in a clean pillow case when you handle her.it may help her get used to being handled and she will feel safer in a dark place

Thanks mate,I try to use a towel cover the head and took her out with no problem.once she is on my hand ,she bites me every time when i move my finger or hand.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey mate, Ive raised many hatchys through to adult and the key is to know when your snake is stressed out, every snake is different but if you can tell if they are stressed it makes it easier. Also don't go from playing with your rats to handling because there is a 100% chance of getting bitten. And another thing i do is to teach them they aren't getting food by getting them out with a hook then handling.
Hope this helps, Ash

100%agree with you ,and I just bought a snake hook should be shipped by next week.:D

this baby is not only cage defensive , I believe she is stressed out because she is breathing rapidly,It's different on hunt mode.

is it frequently handle gonna help?

to be honest I only handle my snakes when I need to do a cage clean-out until they are a lot bigger. Like at least 5foot, they just seem like there a lot more comfortable as they get bigger. But thats just me and my opinion. ;-)
Hope it helps?

to be honest I only handle my snakes when I need to do a cage clean-out until they are a lot bigger. Like at least 5foot, they just seem like there a lot more comfortable as they get bigger. But thats just me and my opinion. ;-)
Hope it helps?

yeah mate, I have only deal with four snake( two adult Stimson and two baby snake) the babies tagged me once or twice maybe,but still very chilled as a four month snake.

the albino is the first snake bites me and at least 20 times.( thanks god is a small snake!!)

just uts wondering is there a effciency way to make her getting use to my hand?

The more you can handle them the better they will get, I have 2 scrubpythons one I bought at 9 months old I handled him everyday for 3 months never missed a day even on and after feeding days, he is now 2.5 years old and 3.5 metres long and has still never bitten he is like a puppy dog,and my other yearling scrubby has only bitten me twice during shed mode, but don't have to worry about being bitten at all now

The more you can handle them the better they will get, I have 2 scrubpythons one I bought at 9 months old I handled him everyday for 3 months never missed a day even on and after feeding days, he is now 2.5 years old and 3.5 metres long and has still never bitten he is like a puppy dog,and my other yearling scrubby has only bitten me twice during shed mode, but don't have to worry about being bitten at all now

Good job mate! I don't really mind the bite but I just don't want to damage her tooth.
And i have a new issue now. I try to feed him today ,she just keep attack the mice but do not want to eat it.
any ideas??

how long have you had the snake, because you shouldn't feed a snake for at least 1week after you get the snake as it very stressful for them.

Here is the trick to new snakes. As soon as i get a new snake i don't even look at them for about 1.5-2 weeks, just water changes. Make sure they have a hide so they feel safe at all times. Then the first thing you do with the snake is feed it a smaller then its usual size meal.

Next is a big one, leave until they have pooped. Once they poop clean the enclosure and handle them then for 5-10 mins, put back in the enclosure for a day and feed. Wait 2-3 days then handle again.

If it is growing to be a breeder in the future then feed once a week until they reach breeding size, then twice a week. If its not going to be a breeder then twice a week throughout.

Just handle twice a week for the first couple of months then you can handle almost all the time except after a feed for a couple of days and in the shed cycle.

And again this is just my opinion and the way i do it.
Hope it Helps, Ash

Last edited:
how long have you had the snake, because you shouldn't feed a snake for at least 1week after you get the snake as it very stressful for them.

Here is the trick to new snakes. As soon as i get a new snake i don't even look at them for about 1.5-2 weeks, just water changes. Make sure they have a hide so they feel safe at all times. Then the first thing you do with the snake is feed it a smaller then its usual size meal.

Next is a big one, leave until they have pooped. Once they poop clean the enclosure and handle them then for 5-10 mins, put back in the enclosure for a day and feed. Wait 2-3 days then handle again.

If it is growing to be a breeder in the future then feed once a week until they reach breeding size, then twice a week. If its not going to be a breeder then twice a week throughout.

Just handle twice a week for the first couple of months then you can handle almost all the time except after a feed for a couple of days and in the shed cycle.

And again this is just my opinion and the way i do it.
Hope it Helps, Ash

Sounds great mate.I think that's the answer I am looking for and I m gonna follow every thing you said.hope she gonna eat next week,As long as she is eating well ,other issues can be solve just the matter of times
cheers

Please do not handle for at least 2 days after feeding. There's a higher chance they can throw up thier dinner.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back