Crickets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats the only brand i buy,...i only use the calcium though, i dont use multi vitamins but feed their insects a healthy diet instead.

Apparently you can overdose lizards on multivitamins, so i wouldnt mix them, just use the calcium a couple of times a week and the vitamins fortnightly if you feel the need to use them.

Okay see I was only going to get the calcium one but I wasn't entirely sure in that moment what vitamins specifically he will need so I got both. But yeah the label specifically says to mix them and that they didn't mix them themselves as doing so at the manufacturing process changes something in the calcium powder. Tonight when I feed him I'll use both as the crickets were bought today and there is only a single piece of carrot in the container. But in future I'll use the multivitamin sparingly.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats the only brand i buy,...i only use the calcium though, i dont use multi vitamins but feed their insects a healthy diet instead.

Apparently you can overdose lizards on multivitamins, so i wouldnt mix them, just use the calcium a couple of times a week and the vitamins fortnightly if you feel the need to use them.

Chris what would you consider the optimum diet for gut loading a cricket?

you can use cricket food and veg, or dry dog food and veg, as veg i use leafy greens, carrot, pumpkin, brocolli stems etc, basically offcuts of what my vegetable eating lizards eat. The dry food is important, not only for protien and added vitamins, if its all wet food the cricket poo/pee makes everything soggy and they die off really fast, the trick is to keep the crickets tub well ventilated and DRY.

A good gutload recipe is dry dog food, dragon pellets, fish food flakes, vitamins & oats all ground together... Works a treat...

You can also place store brought tub in the fridge for 5 to 10 min prior to feeding as to slow crickets down to minimize escape.

Thanks Chris, and everyone. Thankfully the ones I buy are in a container that has this nifty corner open flap sorta thing and when it's time to grab a few out they all run away from that area so no escapees yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back