Stimson feeding?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jesssie

Hey all :) my python passion has rubbed off on my brother and he's just gotten his first scaley mate. He's bought an 8month old Stimpson Python, being his first, he's obviously a bit in experienced and I'm not familiar with Stimpy habits as all my babies are JCPs. But it apparently had a feed last Friday and eats hoppers with no problems at all. Apparently it usually eats a hopper a week. But he's been all kinds of unsuccessful at getting the little guy/girl to eat anything tonight (being it's usual feeding day). I've given him all the usual tips I use if mine are being a little fussy, but thus far, no luck. Obviously it may be about to shed or just a bit off from being moved and with strangers, but has anyone got Stimpson Pythons that has any hints or tips on getting him/her to eat his/her noms? Lol. Or if the feeding schedule could do with tweeking or... anything? Lol. For now I've jyst told him to try again in a couple of days and that I'm sure it will eat when it's good and ready. But as I said, I'm completely unfamiliar with Stimpsons so I just don't want to be giving the wrong advice.

Maybe it's that time of the year. Most of my wheatbelt hatchies are still feeding, but half a dozen have stopped feeding completely. Shouldn't be an issue if the snake has plenty of condition on it. Sometimes mine won't feed when offered because I guess they may not be hungry, then next week smash the food down. He shouldn't be too concerned about it at the moment.

Just leave him to settle in for a week if he only just got him. I have an 8mo stimsons python to, he's currently eat fuzzy mice.

What are his temps? They should be around, 33 35 degrees or so. He might just be a shy eater, mine is. I dangle his food I eave in there and wont eat it UNLESS its shoved into his hide. Only then will he eat.

Maybe try that? Put it in his hide with him, cover him up and leave him over night. If he hasn't eaten then throw the food out obviously. He might just not be ready yet. Give it a go anyway.

My Stimson has gone six months without eating, this is not abnormal over the winter period and a little after, I was advised to raise the temperature slightly and change the size of my food, also some snakes don't like a particular colour of their meals, so if you fed him/her a white mouse try a brown or a black, but seriously, if it's only been a week I wouldn't be concerned :)

My little guy is about the same age, he's eating small hoppers (about 7-8g per head)... If it's only been a short period of time since he got him don't be afraid to let him settle in for 1-2 weeks with no handling and then try again. In the meantime, make sure he's got at least 2 hides of different sizes so he can choose which ones he feels most secure. This should make him feel a lot more secure and a lot less stressed out in a couple of weeks when you try again

It is normal for a snake to take some time to settle in to a new environment. Feeding is ofen one the first things that stops until they are familiar and feel secure in their new digs. It takes time - some take more time than others. Offerit food and if it refuses then try again at the next feeding time (probably one week from what you are saying). If you get to the point where food is still being refused say two months down the tack, then a visit to a competent reptile vet would be warranted.

Blue

My Stimson is 8 months old iv had him 5 weeks now and was hard to feed for the 1st 3 weeks but now is fine. I was told he was on pinky rats but had no luck getting him to take them but when got some that were a bit smaller and tried feeding late at night I have no problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back