Substrate question.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pambo

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have always used newspaper in my enclosures cleaned out when needed and more put in. I have always liked the look of a lot of the other substrates but I was always a bit worried about it holding things and making my snakes sick. So what do you use and how often do you change it??

Repti Bark is one of the best, only have to change it quartely to every six months. and just remove the defecations from it. Keepssome moisture also keeps bad smells at bay and is natural.

Kritters Crumble is also good if you don't have a very big floor. I use breeders choice kitty litter for a lot of my enclosures because its cheap and effective.

+1 for the breeders choice cat litter (or any other recycled paper cat litter). It's a cheap option, easy to clean, and holds smells well. We spot clean as required, and top up with a little fresh stuff every couple of weeks. Regardless of what you use, the enclosure should get a 100% clean out at least every 6 months.

I have used aspen, coco nut husk and cypress mulch.

I ended up liking cypress the most. It holds humidity well, and provides a good traction surface.

The cypress looks nice.
DSC00666.jpg
It is similar in color to the coconut husk.

DSC00348.jpg
This next picture is the coconut husk.
DSC00757.jpg
Though I like the look, the coconut husk seems to get into heat pit more. I have this in a boa constrictor cage so it's not as much of a bother, but it still got into his nostrils. I switched all my animals back to cypress mulch.

Early on I used aspen. It's decent, doesn't look quite as nice, nor does it hold humidity. However it absorbs urates and other waste well.
IMG_1030.jpg

Those are my top 3 for natural looking or display type enclosures.

Last edited:
I use the shredded coconut shells as well. Bob is. 8.5ft and weighs a bit so he tends to compact it nice and tight. Never had an issue with it getting in hit heat pits or nostrils. Neutralises any smells.

I spot clean and top up every couple of weeks.

Will do a complete change every 6 months.

Did you mention what species you are keeping ? I have kept reptiles for years with newspaper as a base and covered with a layer of clean dry leaf litter from local eucalypts that have been dried in the sun and rendered parasite free. It looks great , provides sensory stimulation , is non-absorbant and is easily removed for cleaning. And it is free of charge. Just add some sheets of bark or branches for arboreal or secretive species. Be very careful of absorbant substrates like cat litter or abrasive materials that can produce oral damage if you feed in the enclosure.

Repti Bark is one of the best, only have to change it quartely to every six months. and just remove the defecations from it. Keepssome moisture also keeps bad smells at bay and is natural.
So you just leave six months worth of urine your snakes enclosure? That can't be healthy.

So you just leave six months worth of urine your snakes enclosure? That can't be healthy.

I'm assuming the OP meant that they spot cleaned the substrate, replacing it every ¼-½ yearly.

I've been spot cleaning and topping up Bob's Chipsi for almost 3 months. Next clean I'll replace the entire substrate for him.

I used 2 use bark etc but now days newspaper because its simple and cleaner in my opinion :)
I change it as i see mess mind u my coastal has not pooped in her enclosure for a long time she does all hers out on lawn.

Should be fine, I personally use Ozpet Cat Litter, It works great and doesn't cause any impaction if ingested, it also doesn't look half bad

That's interesting. Never come across that, but can see it could potentially pose a problem as you have said. Would be interested to hear from someone who has had this problem.
we have had no problems with it, but don't keep any species that require specific humidity levels.

It's not a problem unless you're talking about humidity loving species. Even then though, it's more about the ambient conditions than the enclosure itself anyway.

As someone who spent a great deal of time investigating humidity control, I can pretty confidently say that, when you?re talking about a ventilated box with a big heater inside it, it?s eventually going to sit at or below ambient humidity regardless of substrate. The only way around that is to regularly spray or use a fogger or sprayer connected to a hygrostat. Anyway sorry for the little sidebar; I just thought it might be something interesting to point out.

Does anyone have any thoughts on using hemp as a substrate? I did my fair share of research before using it and find it very easy to manage and pretty cheap as well.

[MENTION=34534]andynic07[/MENTION] uses hemp successfully I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back