Shedding question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Madmick149

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a stimson about 8 months old (my first snake) iv had him for about 5 weeks. How am I going to know he is about to shead.
he looks darker then normal and a little cloudy but iv not seen milky eyes and no change in behavior but he has a great temperament. He has been a problem feeder while iv had him so not feeding is not going to tell me much at all but he ate last night. Yesterday when I had him out his skin felt a little rough I have CRPS in my left hand because of nerve damage in my hand any felling or sensation is exaggerated and his skin look a little wrinkly at the bends as he moved around.

All the things that you mention are signs that your snake is about to shed.
The cloudy eyes, whilst being the most obvious feature of pre-slough, clear up in the days leading up to sloughing.
The next time you see these signs, I recommend that you don't feed your snake. Not only do they often not want to eat at this time, but more importantly the slough can get caught on the lump and prevent it from shedding properly.

My snakes become less active (sleep on their hot spots for about a week or 2), the skin gets loose (as in, it looks wrinkly), they get cloud eyes and they get a bit crankier and don't want to be disturbed. With my bredli i know cause she is only on the hot spot after feeding or while in shed mode, and she hisses when touched which she normally doesn't do. With my woma, she no longer comes out to see what is happening when there is movement around the cage and just sleeps on the hotspot, she does get very obvious cloud eyes near the end. Mine actually tend to go into shed mode after they have been fed, but the meal is digested long before they actually shed, and i don't feed if they are already showing signs of shedding.
anyway, what you have observed could well be shedding

Just went to get my little guy out and he has the cloudy eyes and very dull milky skin. According to the records from when I got him it's his last she'd was 10 weeks ago. But still no change in behavior but I might keep handling to a minimum over the next few days and see what happens.

I've just noticed my bredli's eyes have started to go milky. This is the first shed since I acquired Bob.
He's going to be 15 at the end of the year. He's never had a problem shedding according to the previous owner.
He was fed a week ago so he won't be getting another until he has finished shedding.

Yep. Wrinkly skin. Feels like crap. Dull colour. Going off. Food. Looks cloudy. They are all signs that he will shed.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I've noticed that his colour is a lot darker than usual.
The rich browns are gone and his light coloured scales look to be much darker as well.

My dragon has almost finished shedding and he's a nice light colour underneath.
I'm trusting Bob will come up all shiny.

1 of the other ways to tell if coming up to shed is the belly scales often go a bit pinkish, my intergrade and both spotties do this just prior to shedding but thus far i am yet to see the eyes go milky (had the intergrade nearlly 7 years) 1 thing i have learned over the years is they all eventually shed regardless of what we do. :) .....................Ron

We have shead. And in the last 2 hours iv checked the skin and it's complete with eye caps all in 1 pice. The lil guy had a go at escaping when I was cleaning his box n he feels so soft his colours are amazing. I might still give him a day or 2 before I start to handle him again

My darwin is about to shed. Her skin wrinkles when she bends. Her belly had a pink tinge to it and her eyes were ultra milky yesterday.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Bob took 20 minutes to get out of his slough today.
9b4e19a90cf1fad3ee7e0b45dd4ecf78.jpg

He measures in at 9ft

I found his face, both eye caps intact.
668400ca4052f7612c6d59d8a98f87b1.jpg

Posted with my Note 2 using Tapatalk

Eye caps are the most important I think. Retained eyecaps can be horrendous later on. Nice shed there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back