Substrate question.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used hemp in a lot of my enclosures and tubs. I have found it to be very cheap, very absorbent and reduces smell very well. I've had no issues with compaction feeding on it. I have had no issues with shedding either. I've used in for 18 months now in over thirty enclosures and I have found it almost identical to aspen but far cheaper. The only issue I have noticed is that the last few handfuls of the bags I have used have a little dust in them so I've been discarding it.

Wing_Nut

Thanks for the info saximus, i'd been tossing up using it, that clears it up nicely

The product I have use is called "Hemparade". I buy it from my local stock feeder.

You can get it from Reptile Direct and the costs are as follows:
3kg: $9.50
12kg: $22.50

I bought the 3kg bag and I would estimate it is roughly 15L worth.

Here's a photo from their website advertising the hemp.

Sorry to butt in but what does everyone think of marine carpet?? I've heard it being used here and there, wondering the thoughts for substrate.

Ps very well aware its not a natural look lol.

Sorry to butt in but what does everyone think of marine carpet?? I've heard it being used here and there, wondering the thoughts for substrate.

Ps very well aware its not a natural look lol.

At a guess any type of carpet would be like walking on Velcro due to their fine nails.
I think I'm going to move away from sand to the hemp in the dragons den. The sand gets everywhere, spilling out of the vent holes, them walking through the water bowl and then they have sand shoes and it's just messy.
Time to order a large bag from RD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back