Best Thermostat?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll note a lot more info/data is available on the Habistat display screen as opposed to the eco tech. They are a lot more sophisticated really.

Mine has the exact same info except for the heating %. All of the extra "info" that you see, mine has as well. It's simply text stating time on, time off, etc. This text is displayed only when Granted mine doesn't have colour icons but I'm certain that colour icons won't improve my life :D
The base of the unit is identical as is the probe.

When it fails I'll try the Habistat. Only real way to compare :)

Mine has the exact same info except for the heating %. All of the extra "info" that you see, mine has as well. It's simply text stating time on, time off, etc. This text is displayed only when Granted mine doesn't have colour icons but I'm certain that colour icons won't improve my life :D
The base of the unit is identical as is the probe.

When it fails I'll try the Habistat. Only real way to compare :)
It's those differences that set the original from the rip off. The internal parts, programming and and workmanship of a product made in the EU is akin to a Tag Heuer watch from the EU compared to an exact replica from Asia.

It's those differences that set the original from the rip off. The internal parts, programming and and workmanship of a product made in the EU is akin to a Tag Heuer watch from the EU compared to an exact replica from Asia.

100% right snowman. This is the reason that manufacturing in Oz is dying. The locals only see the cheap price and buy. They don't see the difference in quality between home made and products from Asia,

Hey i have been wondering the same thing and have been doing quiet abit of research and out of the 5 pet stores i went to on the gold coast they Swore by the new reptile one "atmostat" has all the built in timers and say its pretty much just the newest update version of the thermostats and there still relatively cheap at 130 dollars. I will be getting one myself this week.

It was priced at $170, I paid $150.

Clearly I was "ripped off" with a really bad product.
I will document how long it lasts and report back when I replace it with a Habistat :)

What is the difference between a dimming, switing or day and night thermostat as herp shop has all of these options available. I want to connect a heat pad and sun glow globe.

There are about 5 different versions of the Eco Tech/ Jet 001 or whatever you want to call it. Ask where the digital ones are made and you will have your answer.

I will document how long it lasts and report back when I replace it with a Habistat :)
Isn't the Eco tech the same as the DTC-120? which is $58.50 on ebay....

- - - Updated - - -

Whilst I'm pro habistat and also have a few microclimates as well. The old wall on off thermostats also last for ages. I have some since I began keeping still working no probs. I am weary of them being inside the viv though and the 240v contacts inside it. Be bad news if they ever get wet poop on em!

- - - Updated - - -

What is the difference between a dimming, switing or day and night thermostat as herp shop has all of these options available. I want to connect a heat pad and sun glow globe.

Check out the herpshop website. They have a chart that shows what they all do and what heating they are compatible with.

- - - Updated - - -

a

problem. I live in Australia and the habistat his made with American connections is it worth using an adaptor.?

They make them for different markets. There are Australian ones available. The American ones are made for 110V as opposed to our 240V.
Sometimes I buy them from the UK and swap the plugs as they also use 240V. Mostly I just get them from Herpshop though.

Last edited by a moderator:
100% right snowman. This is the reason that manufacturing in Oz is dying. The locals only see the cheap price and buy. They don't see the difference in quality between home made and products from Asia,

That doesnt really apply in this case as one is from the UK and the other from Asia.

Are the internal electrical components in habistat made in England? I'd be pretty suspicious of that. More like they are made from components sourced offshore as well as home and assembled in house. Not saying they aren't a great thermostat but they would most likely still contain some of the same cheap components sourced from Aisia. The quality would be in the design and/or housings.

I once knew a wise old man who advised that if you nothing of intelligence to say the most intelligent thing is to say nothing.

Mmm, you should take that wise mans advice ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not trying to be argumentative but buying Australian doesn't necessarily equal quality/superior product. I often buy from overseas due to budget and still get quality most times. I tried to buy a specific incubator from local pet shops this year and after 6 months+ of inability to supply due to AUSTRAlIAN supplier/distributor not having any and unable to get an eta either through the pet shop or them I purchased 1 off Ebay from overseas on principle.

From what i could find from searching ,is the habistat digital therms are made for habistat by another supplier which is most probably chinese ,which i guess is why they have a 1 year warranty.
The habistats i have with the replaceable fuse from the outside are pulse proportional UK made from herp shop ,very good.

Are the internal electrical components in habistat made in England? I'd be pretty suspicious of that. More like they are made from components sourced offshore as well as home and assembled in house. Not saying they aren't a great thermostat but they would most likely still contain some of the same cheap components sourced from Aisia. The quality would be in the design and/or housings.

I would imagine as with everything nowadays parts and components are sourced from all over the world.

Dimming works like a light dimmer, it turns down the available power to the heater in use.
Switching simply means on/off. It heats, gets to temperature then switches off. When the temp is low it switches on. The drawback is that this method is less efficient as there is more power used to re heat the the viv again. The constant on/off shortens the life of the globes that are connected to it.
Day/Night means that the thermostat can be set to two temperatures, one for day, the other for night.
I have a dimming day/night thermostat in Casa Del Bob and it is set to 32c during the day and 24c at night.

Take a look at this page, scroll down to the bottom where it lists the different types of thermostats and their compatibility with certain heating options.
HTH somewhat.

The Eco-Tech and the Habistat and two completely different units......different functions and all. A quick look at the specs between the two will show stark differences. Looking at them both 'in the flesh' will even moreso. These are not 'rebadged' Eco-Tech/Jets.

The Habistat also doesn't have the reputation for failing, melting, catching fire etc that the Eco-Tech/Jet (or whatever else they are being rebadged as) do. Too many people have had them catch fire, or melt and almost catch fire for my liking - mine are now all out of service. Despite this they were also prone to several failures. One importer of the model in Australia is no longer importing them for these reasons.

Firestarters and not worth the risk.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep...and abut 8 months ago you could have bought the exact same Eco-Tech with a 'Jet' branding on it for $70. I say 8 months ago because they are no longer being imported.

Last edited:
The Eco-Tech and the Habistat and two completely different units......different functions and all. A quick look at the specs between the two will show stark differences. Looking at them both 'in the flesh' will even moreso. These are not 'rebadged' Eco-Tech/Jets.

The Habistat also doesn't have the reputation for failing, melting, catching fire etc that the Eco-Tech/Jet (or whatever else they are being rebadged as) do. Too many people have had them catch fire, or melt and almost catch fire for my liking - mine are now all out of service. Despite this they were also prone to several failures. One importer of the model in Australia is no longer importing them for these reasons.

Firestarters and not worth the risk.

Cheap cr@p. Our market in Oz is flooded with it.
Steer clear and buy reputable brands from reputable sources.

I was at BestFriend pets (chain store) and bought it from them.
As I said when it fails I'll get the Habistat thermostat. My assumption that a chain store would stock reputable products. I. Know, I know, ***-u-me :)

I emailed & rang the herpshop a number of times without response. That's when I ended up in the pet shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back