Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dexter_84

I spotted this beauty today while kayak today. I noticed he/he was in Shed so I didnt harass it to much.

Is it just a regular Carpet Python or is there a special name for this colour? All the others I have seen have note red/brown in them. But this one was more grey. Or maybe the colour was because of the shed.

8c093cfcb5c5c6fe59b499bf67d87c29.jpg

Carpet Pythons aren't just one kind of snake with different colours, its the name given to the entire Morelia Spilota family of snakes. This is split up into the different sub species;
M. S. Cheynei(Jungle Python)
M. S. Imbricata(South Western Python)
M. S. McDowelli(Coastal Python)
M. S. Metcalfei(Murray Darling Python)
M. S. Spilota(Diamond Python)
M. S. Variegata(Darwin Python)
What you have come across here is a pretty stock standard Coastal Python.

Ok Kool. Thank you so much. Beautiful Snake none the less.
It was an inquisitive fella too. Sticking its head out from the tree to see what that hell I was doing.

Wikipedia says "M. S. Harrisoni". I maybe wromg as U still a noob, but I thought it might make me look smarter [emoji3]

Wikipedia says "M. S. Harrisoni". I maybe wromg as U still a noob, but I thought it might make me look smarter [emoji3]

Haha yeah, the man to put forward that name proposal is... lets just say he's 'special'. It's not something I, or most people in the herp world would consider a legitimate claim.
As far as most thinking goes the Papuan or Irayan Jaya are M. S. Variegata still.

I'm also on the side of Morelia Bredli not being a part of the Spilota family if thats the one people think I missed...

I thought all morelia were considered as carpets? Like morelia bredli, morelia viridis and morelia carinata? I may just be off in how I describe things anything with that head shape is a carpet to me

They were termed carpets way back when, as their patterning had the appearance of old carpets and rugs, hence why Virides and Carinata wouldn't be considered carpets - Virides being known simply as Green Tree Pythons.
Morelia Bredli are considered carpet pythons, but until recently were members of the Spilota family. Now they are recognised as their own species of Morelia. The exception to the rule I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back