Neglected Darwin help please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Madmick149

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a 9 month old albino Darwin that had been neglected by the previous owner.
iv had her 5 days and she has been to the vet for a check up iv been told she just needs some TLC she had not been fed in months was dehydrated and is under size.
I went to get her out tonight and she was in full feed mode so I gave her a fuzzie which she took. Sunday she had a hopper but had so little energy struggled with it and on advice of the vet I gave her a fuzzie on Tuesday night for a total on 1 hopper and 2 fuzzies in. 5 days.
She is searching for food and still in full feed mode should I give her more or just hold off a few days?

If it hasn't been fed in months I wouldn't load it up with food right away. Give it maybe a few fuzzies a week to get her tummy back on track, then move up to bigger feeds

Id probably stick with 1 appropriate sized food item every 5 days.
Im not really up with the digestive systems of snakes but with mamals its best to take it slow to adjust them back to eating maybe contact a reptile vet and find out which they recommend.
A good place to ask is the reptile quarrentine and virus awareness page on Facebook.

I took her to the vet Tuesday and was advised feed smaller sizes more regularly.
But even today she is in feed mode so much so seek and destroy comes to mind when I watch her. It's almost like she now remembers what food is about and wants to make up for what she missed out on

Apart from gut issues you risk constipation if you feed too often
Can end up with lumps of urate stuck between feeds blocking the system up

Let it eat
Let it poo
Feed it again

If you waited for a snake to poo every time to feed them you would never get good condition back on. Without seeing the snake I'd try and feed it around once a week on a food item that when swallowed and is in the stomach, you see slight separation on the scales of the snake.

Honestly I'd stick to small food items maybe 2 or 3 times a week until her guts can get back on track. Its the same with any animal who hasn't had food in a long time. If they gorge themselves, they will probably throw it up because their stomach has shrunken a little bit and they don't have as much break downy germs in thier guts.

So give her, maybe a few fuzzzies a week for maybe 2 weeks just to get her gut germs working well again. Then after that give her a nice appropriate sized food.

She will be pretty hungry, but you need to resist feeding her too much at the moment. xD Would like to see some pics though :)

If you waited for a snake to poo every time to feed them you would never get good condition back on. Without seeing the snake I'd try and feed it around once a week on a food item that when swallowed and is in the stomach, you see slight separation on the scales of the snake.

???????
Why would it never get good condition back on??
Please explain in simple language

We get dehydrated emaciated snakes every week
For those interested I will explain exactly how feeding after pooping can very quickly result in rapid growth
Powerade bath for rehydration
Next day food a bit smaller than that size snake would usually eat
Colubrids vipers and elapids usually poo after 3 days
Pythons between 5 and 7 days
For pythons on 5th day let it out on the lawn
It will poo
Feed it again
As it rapidly gains condition increase food size
When in peak condition change to larger feeds less often to maintain weight growth and condition

Chris = 1feed x 7days =4feeds every 28 days
Me = 2 feed x 5days = 6feeds every 30 days
As you can see Chris this results in nearly 2 extra feeds per month
Case closed

Haha yeah powerade baths work amazingly well.

Its funny how sometimes the simplest thing works wonders. Like hayfever tablets and dogs. Works wonders!

I lover her by the way shes simply gorgeous! Keep up the good work :D

Chris82 i too don't understand your theory!!!!

ive always feed my python every five to seven days and it usually one day after a poo.
My snake is of adequate size and healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back