Children's Not Feeding...HELP Plz

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtm1811

Reaction score
So I got my new children's yesterday and the ppl i got him from said he hasnt been fed since winter so i should feed him as soon as i can, i tried today but all he did was slither up to it, smell it and lick it and then lay back down....the ppl i got him from said that he was on a once a month thawed mice diet, so yeah...idk what im doing wrong, plz help me as i am a noob hahahah

Well for a start we need to know
1 - what temperatures the hot ans cold end of its enclosure is
2 - how old the python is
3 - did the enclosure come with the snake or is it a new environment
4 - how you defrosted the mouse

It may still be settling into the enclosure or there may be something wrong with the husbandry.

idk the temp cause i have no thermostat atm but the room Temp ranges from highest about 29-32 to lowest about 25-20 if it is pretty cold...idk how old and it is a new enclosure, and i took it our the freezer a day ago and put it in the fridge, then left it on the bench after it deforst to warm up a bit...

First issue would be the temp, if you have no idea what it is no food should be offered as they may not have the body temp to be digesting the food.
if its a new enclosure it should be left for 2 weeks without handling or feeding to settle in and get used to its new surroundings.
So I take it its an adult?
Do you have multiple hides in the enclosure for it?
Any heat sources should also be on thermostats to control the temperature. The 2 best are lights or heat cord under a tile. (Never use heat rocks)
The easiest way to defrost the food is to place in hot tap water, this will defrost and heat up the food to a reasonable temperature.

Its about 90-95cm , idk if u can tell how old it is buy that but yeah, and i have one hidey hole atm for him, the ppl i got him from gave me a heat man and told me to only use it in winter and that i didnt need a light or rock..they just said to use the mat in winter but idk if that is right cause all my mates have UV lights and rocks

Heat rocks are to never be used. I cannot stress that enough. I strongly recommend looking up a care sheet and getting the correct heating and lighting as well as more hides for it.
Its not a dog or cat that you can chuck in the backyard and it will eat etc.

OK :D got it absaloutly no rocks, and i will look one up now :D cheers , also one more thing?? the hide is home made from a mate and made out of Hebel Stone... is that an ok type of susbstance to use for a hide or not?

You can pick up a infrared thermometer from super cheap foe like $40. With one on those you will 100% what your temps are. Also if you cen get the temp of the rodent to around 37 body temp might also help. Last thing you want is to feed a cook mouse or still half frozen. Another idea might be to slow your snake to settle in to his new enclosure for a week. If your enclosure temps are right and the rodent your feeding is not cooked and the right temp and your snake is not stressed and is hungry he will eat. You also might need wiggle or shake the rodent around a little rub it on the back of his neck/ head or even tap him on the nose with it. Even if he bites if from frustration if it's in his mouth he will probably eat it

Anything they can hide under (that doesnt run the risk of crushing it if it falls, so solidly made) is fine for a hide.
Ill elaborate a bit more on the heat rocks as well.
They use a heating element that is placed into the moulded plastic, the issue being the wire isnt always at the same depth and spaced well enough apart, so although the inbuilt thermostat is reading 30? at one spot on the rock the temperature on another ssot may be in excess of 60? causing burns to your reptile and a hefty vet bill.

thanks everyone for the help :D i will be sure the purchase a thermostat and let him settle in and no rocks haha :D thankyou

Never trust a thermostat to give you a true temp. Just because it's set to 32 dose not mean that will be the hot side temp. If you want to know the real temps get a infrared thermometer.
http://search.supercheapauto.com.au/search?ts=m&w=infrared thermometer
Just don't point it at your snakes eye.
not saying don't get or use a thermostat just don't rely on it with IR you will 100% what your hot side cool side and your snakes temp is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back