Not Happy NEED HELP!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prof_Moreliarty

Reaction score
HI Guys sorry my 1st is going to be longwinded but heres my story.

I purchased some juvie jungle carpets off a large reputable snake breeder from nsw (im in qld) the guy i have been dealing with told me at the time of my enquiry, that i only need to fill a form out AFTER i get the snakes (my fault for not double checking and this is the 1st time ive bought snakes) so i pick up snakes from a rep from said breeder at airport no licensing details were provided. i was excited so forgot to ask but no biggie i thought as it would only take one phonecall... anyway i looked up the form i needed and found this.

https://www.ehp.qld.gov.au/licences...ldlife/moving_native_and_exotic_wildlife.html

Clearly i have been badly misinformed as the paperwork was required before the transfer took place i called the number from the breeders website got the same bloke i had always been talking to and told him of qld govs requirements (he had no clue) and he again said he thought it was one form. i said that wasnt the case and sent him links to the qld gov ehp website. he said no worries to help me out we can just move the dates around a little and all would be good i said ok and sent him the details i require. many txts and phone calls later i have only been able to get a name and license number, qld gov need far more than that and he no longer answers or replys to my calls and i have given up.

so as it stands i have 3 snakes i intended to use for breeding and as far as i can tell they are all illegal... im extremly frustrated and have no idea what to do, do i tell qld gov??? will they take my snakes away???? if anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated.

thanks. a frustrated snake owner

i should add that this is partly my fault and im not looking to name the breeder or get any money off them or anything like that i just want my snakes legally in my name...

- - - Updated - - -
hi chris from what i can gather from ehp (ive called them to confirm)

:name in full
:residential address
:business address
:address where wildlife are now kept
:wildlife license number and type

- - - Updated - - -

according to ehp rep and their website i am to fill out forms and send to seller to sign and then send with snakes.

- - - Updated - - -

i have also had a look around some other breeders websites that seem to know about the way qld gov does things now and are up to date. which is why i was surprised such a large breeder didnt know....

Last edited:
So you have his name and licence, that's all they should need really. Maybe they're able to obtain the rest of the information, it should be on their records or they would be able to talk to nsw about it! You obviously know your own address. I wouldn't stress too much about it, you have the more important information. His licence would tell them what type it is!

good luck with it anyway

So you have his name and licence, that's all they should need really. Maybe they're able to obtain the rest of the information, it should be on their records or they would be able to talk to nsw about it! You obviously know your own address. I wouldn't stress too much about it, you have the more important information. His licence would tell them what type it is!

good luck with it anyway

thanks Chris i hope i can sort it. the form is to be filled out before sending snakes so i assumed that means where they are kept before sending i called ehp qld to confirm and they said thats how its done send paperwork before snakes are transferred...

- - - Updated - - -

if anyone has recently been through importing a snake to qld i would love to hear what process they had to go through. (maybe qld gave me a bum steer?
)

- - - Updated - - -

but thats what their website and rep stated....

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.ehp.qld.gov.au/licences-permits/plants-animals/moving-wildlife/fm-wl-ema.doc

some more info.

[h=3]Moving wildlife? Use the new free electronic movement advice (EMA)[/h] To assist with the movement of certain wildlife for recreational aviculturists, herpetologists and commercial wildlife licence holders the department has developed an electronic movement advice (EMA). This free movement advice may be used when moving wildlife into, out of and within Queensland and is available only through the department website.
It may be used for any transaction that an existing printed movement advice can be used for. The current printed movement advice forms are still available for a fee from the department.
Once you have established that you can use a movement advice for a transaction as opposed to a movement permit you then have two choices:

• purchase a printed movement advice from the department for the usual fee and manually fill in the form at the time of the transaction or
  • use the link located at the bottom of this page to access the free EMA (please note: all fields on the EMA must be filled out electronically before being printed out).
The EMA is available to clients who have access to the department website and once opened can be fully completed and printed. It is not recommended that this form be saved onto a personal computer for reuse as this may lead to an out-of-date version being used in the future. Only access this form directly from the department website.
The EMA operates in the same way as the current system so that when part 1 is fully completed and the advice is printed it automatically copies the typed content onto the corresponding 3 pages. Once fully completed and printed you will receive four parts or pages which you are to distribute in exactly the same manner as a normal movement advice, i.e. parts 1 and 3 are to be returned to the department to the closest EHP office ( addresses are supplied on the form).
Each EMA that is fully completed and printed will have an individual identifier in the top right hand corner consisting of the exact date and time of completion. This will ensure that no two EMAs are the same and will allow the department staff to match up parts 1 and 3 with the corresponding movement for compliance purposes. Each time the EMA is opened a new identification number will be generated to identify a new transaction.

- - - Updated - - -

open the ema and it will not complete till i input ALL the details i have previously stated

Last edited:
I'd be on the side of 'just keep it to yourself'.
It's only 3 snakes, you bought them legally, you have a license and the sellers name and license number. Thats plenty. DERM wouldn't bother with such a trivial matter.

I'd be on the side of 'just keep it to yourself'.
It's only 3 snakes, you bought them legally, you have a license and the sellers name and license number. Thats plenty. DERM wouldn't bother with such a trivial matter.

Who are DERM??owning/importing snakes that's EHP department if environment and heritage protection

this is is the form for transferring snakes in Qld.

http://www.ehp.qld.gov.au/licences-permits/plants-animals/moving-wildlife/fm-wl-ema.doc

As you can see license and name is not enough and I want these snakes registered properly.

Maybe call the dept up there and see what they recommend?
Or just fill in the sections as refused to give.

I'm just gonna ring EHP anon and tell them exactly what's happened to see what I can do.

A large reputable snake breeder from nsw would know the drill when it came to moving reptiles interstate.

As well as swapping lic details you need to fill out a movement advice for your side of things and he needs to apply for an export permit for his side of things.The export permit cost $30,did he charge you for this on top of the cost of the animals?

A large reputable snake breeder from nsw would know the drill when it came to moving reptiles interstate.

As well as swapping lic details you need to fill out a movement advice for your side of things and he needs to apply for an export permit for his side of things.The export permit cost $30,did he charge you for this on top of the cost of the animals?

nope didn't charge me for that or mention it.

- - - Updated - - -

right as far as i can tell they have been sent illegally.... as the breeder never took any of my details off me and he would need the same info i require to do the transfer in nsw. im gonna see what ehp say and go from there, they are not a small time breeder i cant believe im having to go through this i thought i would save any hassles getting off the big guys.... thanks for the replays people hopefully i can sort this.

I have done this twice in the last 6 months(bought reptiles interstate)I am in QLD. Now to be clear, IT WAS ME AT FAULT not the sellers. When buying interstate the seller needs to do an export permit for the reptiles he is sending to you. Now as from 3 people who advised me from DERM I need to fill out page 2(buyers section) from a Movement advice, you post the complete movement advice to the seller they fill out their bits then send it back to our DERM. And then send page 2 back to you. I botched the first lot up and wound up having no MA, all I did was write out a stat dec and DERM were happy. As long as you have their licence number and an export number you will be fine, DERM are actually very friendly and helpful.

Crystal, you should get part 2 and 3, part 2 is to be kept by you, part 3 is to be signed by you and sent back to DERM/EPA or whatever they are called this week.....the seller gets part 1 and 4, part 1 is to be sent back to EPA and part 4 is kept by the seller...

Crystal, you should get part 2 and 3, part 2 is to be kept by you, part 3 is to be signed by you and sent back to DERM/EPA or whatever they are called this week.....the seller gets part 1 and 4, part 1 is to be sent back to EPA and part 4 is kept by the seller...
My bad about the parts I missed in op sending back and keeping. I forgot about page 3 lol Teach me to post in a hurry. Thanx Swampie

....the seller gets part 1 and 4, part 1 is to be sent back to EPA and part 4 is kept by the seller...

I have never signed and sent anything back to QLD EPA.All I ever do is apply on my end (NSW) for an export permit and supply them with the buyers MA number which fufills my obligations under my license conditions.Never been an issue either on my side or the interstate buyer on the other end.

Yeah but it's changed in Qld it's on the buyer to sort out the paper work and send it to seller in another state who has to sign it and then send with the snake/s

Hey Prof_Moreliarty

Firstly congrats on getting your first snakes, hopefully you enjoy them immensely and you get bitten by the bug.

As to do with the movement advice the main thing I will say is don't stress. "Technically" the animals were moved illegally but these sorts of mistakes happen all the time so don't stress. Just fill in the movement advice with the dates you moved the wildlife get it signed by the seller and send it to EHP (If you were wondering they were formally named EPA and also DERM, hence why people are calling them different things). The movement advices need to be returned to EHP within 14 days of the animals being moved so just get them sent off within that time frame and you'll have learnt a lesson for next time.

Hey there Jedi thanks for the kind words. yeah the bug has definitly bitten with regards to carpets Id have 2 of every morph/paint job/locality if I could . I should've clarified in 1st post but I have kept ball pythons in uk just these are the 1st ones I've had here and jungles are the closest thing I could find to a ball python. :)

I think you'll find Jungles are probably the furthest you could get in Carpets from Ball Pythons...

Colour and pattern wise not so much. shape wise yes

- - - Updated - - -

What pattern/colour carpet do you suggest is closer to a ball python?

- - - Updated - - -

My ball pythons were black and gold same as my jungles currently are ( I realise they will get brighter ) hadn't seen cape jungles till the other day they seem to stay a more goldy/orange colour from pics

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back