Adaptors for reptile bulbs?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReptiBeck

Reaction score
Just wondering if these adaptor things would be suitable for reptile bulbs if anyone knows? Says theyre suitable for LED halogen filament lights etc. and any voltage/wattage but just checking before i buy one. only have one light fitting in my enclosure and need two for my shingleback-one for heat light and one for UV. :oops: anyone know how these would go?

Cannot upload pics so hopefully im allowed to give out this link...apologies if not!
http://www.*********.au/itm/3pcs-E27-to-Double-E27-Light-Lamp-Bulb-Adapter-Converter-/390742313187?pt=AU_Lighting_Fans&hash=item5afa0e88e3

Thanks guys :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Okay the link isnt going to work..but its a screw in adaptor that forks out into two fittings...like a Y shape if that makes sense...

Last edited:
If they are plastic they won't be suitable. If the heat doesn't melt the plastic, the UV will break it down. If they're ceramic. All good.

Id just stick with 100% ceramic.

No weird mixes of plastics and stuff. its safer to just get ceramic

I use a two way socket in my frilly enclosure for a compact uv and basking bulbs, it's plastic and hasn't degraded in the last year. Bought it off ebay for about $15 including shipping

I use a two way socket in my frilly enclosure for a compact uv and basking bulbs, it's plastic and hasn't degraded in the last year. Bought it off ebay for about $15 including shipping

Thanks, i might give it a go...if anything bad happens ill just change it back i guess haha
i only have a uv light and a normal floodlight for heating...wont get too hot

Thanks, i might give it a go...if anything bad happens ill just change it back i guess haha

Just DONT get a cheap Chinese made one, it probably will melt. Mine came from England and is heat resistant and rated to 600 watts. I don't have the box it came in or I could tell you the brand.

Just DONT get a cheap Chinese made one, it probably will melt. Mine came from England and is heat resistant and rated to 600 watts. I don't have the box it came in or I could tell you the brand.

i think ive found the same seller, thankyou so much! cant wait to get my shingleback, his setup is looking gorgeous

Just a warning - that 'anything bad' when it comes to heating/lighting and reptiles usually comes at the cost of losing your reptile.
It might be a bit more work and $$$ but do it right the first time and invest in a couple of ceramic fittings.

I would avoid any sort of double adaptors when it comes to light fittings especially high temp stuff,much safer to install separate fittings for each lamp and always use 100% ceramic to avoid any problems-you don't want the house to burn down while you are at work.

Thanks for your opinion guys. I am not using a reptile heat bulb, it is a normal phillips flood light, 60 or 65 watt from memory..the other light is just a UV so not hot. does that make any difference? i feel really nooby and stupid for asking this sort of question...just wondering if anyone had experience with them and knows if theyre okay, before i decide to use the fitting or go through the long process of buying another ceramic fitting and installing it, which i dont know how to do in a melamine enclosure...
Thankyou again :)

Thanks for your opinion guys. I am not using a reptile heat bulb, it is a normal phillips flood light, 60 or 65 watt from memory..the other light is just a UV so not hot. does that make any difference? i feel really nooby and stupid for asking this sort of question...just wondering if anyone had experience with them and knows if theyre okay, before i decide to use the fitting or go through the long process of buying another ceramic fitting and installing it, which i dont know how to do in a melamine enclosure...
Thankyou again :)

As I said, I use one and I've had no dramas with it , there designed for incandescent bulbs wich produce heat. if your that concerned then don't use one. It's a verry simple task to install another fitting into a melamine enclosure. I used one as my enclosure was glass with a steel vent that didn't have the room for a second fitting. You could always set it up without your reptile inside and leave it on for a few days straight and if it hasn't melted by then it won't . If you want first hand knowledge ask the company that makes them rather than seeking the opinion of people that have no idea of what there talking about. Not all plastic melts lol have a look at your car engine!!!

Last edited:
Here's a picture of the adaptor I'm using, has a 60watt Phillips spot light and a compact uvb, would have uploaded it ages ago but have had trouble loading images until now.

8e37dc3a043a432d6cab1f12e0a2498e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back