Wee'ing in self defence?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrVic

Reaction score
Just curious as to your thoughts on the above

My newly acquired diamond has a wee each time I take her out to have a hold .

She's not aggressive, a little wriggly at the beginning but settles down quickly once she's had a wee.

Cheers

It is a sign of stress at being handled.Some highly strung animals will bite,some will pee,some will wriggle to try and get away,some will do all three.

Yeah it's peeing cause its nervous and stressed out. Perhaps instead of getting her out you could get her used to just being touched first. So like just touch her and stroke her while shes in her cage but dont get out.

If you have only very recently got her, just let her be for a week or so :)

I know my female shingleback does it almost every time I hold her and the same with my guinea pig and I've had them for awhile.....

Fair enough. She pees within first couple of minutes whilst she is still above her viv. I lift her up and hold her there for a couple of minutes until till she stops wriggling then she is calm.
She has bitten on occasions, nothing spectacular. Most times it's just a "headbutt". As soon as she pees she's fine

- - - Updated - - -

I've had her for 12 days. I didn't handle her for a week after I first got her out of the pillow case and the obligatory photo shoot :D

I may just leave her for another week or so and she if she gets better.

Also try just touching her a bit while shes in her tank. see how she goes with that

It's called musking and it's a defensive strategy used by most snakes when they feel stressed or threatened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back