Murray Darling acting weird

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n3xia

Reaction score
Hey, I recorded the following video of my MD's weird behaviour. Basically, he's been super restless, slithering back and forth and pushing against the wire of his enclosure - all day, every day, for the last month or two. He has also gone off his food, and he's normally an exceptional eater. This is almost exactly what he did during the breeding season earlier this year and last year, except he has also felt quite tense and edgy when I've held him while he's acting this way. He even flipped out on me about a week ago while I was handling him. He twisted and contorted himself and grazed my arm with his teeth as he twisted. I've had him for over a year and a half and he's never done that before. It's almost like something is annoying/frustrating him. Anyway it's probably nothing to worry about... I just thought I should ask before I take him to get checked out by a vet.

[video=youtube_share;Rcss6Dc_li4]http://youtu.be/Rcss6Dc_li4[/video]

It looks like normal explorative behavior to me, quite normal as the weather is starting to warm up. I'd watch for nose rub with that wire fronted cage though.

Normal behaviour at this time of year if it's a male. By the way, I'd get rid of that mouse mesh wire this very day if I was you - it acts like a cheese grater on the noses of snakes in cases just like this where the animal is pacing interminably and trying to get out. It's only a matter of time before your animal suffers significant nose damage and the possibility of dangerous infection in the tissues and bones of the mouth.

Wire netting is an absolute no-no in small reptile cages. Not so bad in aviaries and outdoor facilities, but inside - never.

There is nothing more than hormonal activity driving that behaviour - a vet visit is totally unnecessary.

Jamie

Thanks everyone. Sorry I didn't reply until now - I'd subscribed to this thread but didn't receive any notifications. The previous owner custom built that enclosure and I haven't found a reasonably priced glass one yet. I have been checking his nose though, and there doesn't seem to be any damage or scuffed scales. Remember I am in Darwin too, so it's much hotter here than where he's from. I was also wondering if a glass enclosure might be a bit of a sauna this time of year and allow for even less ventilation than he has now :/

Just thought I'd let everyone know, Miles rediscovered his appetite on Saturday. He took a day old chicken that was going to go to be my childreni's dinner if he Miles didn't eat it :) So that's 3 months all up that he wasn't eating for. Not too drastic.

There are no good reasons to keep the snake exposed to the mousemesh, trust me, after many years of reptile keeping, the wire mesh is a calamity waiting to happen. One day you'll come home and find the snake bloodied on the nose and permanently scarred. You can make large vents elsewhere in the enclosure using firmly fixed 50% shadecloth.

Jamie

Acrylic sheeting isn't particularly expensive, just buy thin sheets and bolt them onto the inside of the mesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back