Melamine Tank Heating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ben_smith2000

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm switching out one of my glass tanks for a Melamine one and was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to heat the base of the tank since I can't put a heat mat in.

any advice greatly appreciated :)

You can put a heat mat in. Or a heat cord.
Simply sandwich it between two tiles. just make sure you leave a gap between the tiles for adequate ventilation.

[MENTION=40664]arevenant[/MENTION]
thanks that sounds like a great idea :)

Why did you assume you couldn't put heat directly on melamine?

You can, but for heat dispersion and retention, the under tile method is much better.
I believe the OP was unsure as to mounting method, as heat mats are mounted under the base of glass tanks.

Heat mats aren't meant to go directly onto wood, I'm not familiar with Melamine tanks since I've always used glass so I thought that they weren't a good Idea :)

I think I'll go with the under tile method, it sounds like a good idea

Router a groove in the melamine floor to sit heat cord in and place tile over the top.

90d195a759cd09fbdea7995696b05577.jpg
. I have siliconed a tile on top followed by a thermostat probe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

....I have several 'heat pads' made out of either heat mats or heat chords sandwiched between a tile (top surface) and fibrous cement sheet (lower surface) framed in a timber surround, with the airspace underneath filled in with expanded foam. I have mounts a thermostat probe when putting it together so thermostatically controlled. They can be placed inside or removed from enclosures as desired.

Could also make a heat panel to screw to the ceiling of your enclosure using heat cord, takes out the possibility of the animal crapping all over it

I know it's been a couple of months since I started this feed but I thought I'd put some pics of my stimmie in her new setup,
thanks to everyone who commented for all the help :D

96ed388c50c1d6e5e5f3116e4ef75be0.jpg
3960476bdb16c5ae3b52e3450fa33290.jpg
4fd04d7c47e6534c62d6a6997e1fcf10.jpg
67237ab08f74b95a3210f7f2907dcc36.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back