Odd

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Beans

My darwin python of about..... 2 or so years of age. Female apparently, but cant be sure, has been acting kinda strange.

Like shes been almost never in her hide lately when shes normally in one of them. So shes always laying on her sticks, acting like an arboreal snake.

So she hasn't been on her heat much, I did a temp check of her body and it showed up as 26 degrees.

She ate recently maybe nearly a week now the biggest rat I had given her to date. She had a decent lump in her tummy, went into her hide and I didn't see her for like 3 days which is normal.

But right now as of writing this she has the top half of her body on the tanks floor and the rest is up on her sticks. She hasn't been curling up like she normally does. When I got her out a few days ago I could hear her breathing. It wasn't really like a wheeze or a sneeze or anything because it was happening like every 2 or 3 seconds when she exhaled, but maybe she was annoyed that I had her out.

Now I'm worried it's RI.

My knowledge of it is the first sign is they go off food. And she hasn't. The forks of the tongue can be stuck together and they aren't. Theres no goopyness around her face or nose or anything. When I checked on her just before she had liquid on her, but I'm pretty sure it was just water, as it was further down her throat area and it was sitting in perfect little round droplets.

She just seems to want out all of a sudden and I dunno why. The other night I was watching her and she was full on pushing her nose into the corner of her tank like she was trying to break through it. And I just looked over at her now and shes doing it again. Using all of her force pushing down. Not rubbing, I checked her for mites and there is none.

It's so weird this sudden change of behaviour I have absolutely no clue whats going on.

Is it breeding seasons for darwins? If so could this just be the I wanna get out and mate thing going on?

It goes on day and night. She will stop for a few hours and sleep. But once shes awake shes at it again o_O

There are always a few threads like this at this time of year. It's very likely to be hormonal behaviour related to the season, and it can often kick in with snakes >2yo +. Mostly it's males that do it, but the girls can react in a similar way as well. MOSTLY they go off food, but like all things reptilian, there are exceptions. You've covered the symptoms of RI pretty well (congrats Beans, you've absorbed more than some keepers do in a lifetime :)!), so all other things being equal, you really just have to sit it out for the season.

Jamie

my albino is turning 2 soon and she will on be on her heat for the few days straight after food or when coming to shed otherwise will be on her perch/branch or asleep in water bowl, on occassion when she is around my neck and moving her i can hear a slight whistle type noise but is definately not RI as with yours all spotless with mouth - eating etc.
She is very active at present and is always demanding on getting out as soon as i walk in the door with here being squashed up on glass to pacing back and forth til her doors are open and she is off exploring and climbing everything til i have to put her back for bed, she does seem to try to find the other pythons i have too so hormones could be it too but sounds similar to how yours is reacting
5.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah thats what I figured that she was just wanting to mate or something. Regardless I'll keep an eye on her

- - - Updated - - -

There are always a few threads like this at this time of year. It's very likely to be hormonal behaviour related to the season, and it can often kick in with snakes >2yo +. Mostly it's males that do it, but the girls can react in a similar way as well. MOSTLY they go off food, but like all things reptilian, there are exceptions. You've covered the symptoms of RI pretty well (congrats Beans, you've absorbed more than some keepers do in a lifetime :)!), so all other things being equal, you really just have to sit it out for the season.

Jamie

Haha thanks Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back