help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkpainting

Reaction score
Hi
I have 2 diamond pythons male and female since they where babys. Around 2 years ago. I house them together in an enclosure and while I did plan on separating them I don't have the time to do it. My problem is the female has never ate consistently and I cant remember the last time she ate. She is aggressive and will strike at the food but her aim does seem to be way off, And if she does get the mouse she will generally drop it. I am looking for suggestions as to what to do as she is nearly half the size of the male who eats all the time.

I am also thinking she might be better going to someone who is more experienced as I am going to be struggling to dedicate the time to her. Would anyone take her off me? I am in Melbourne.
I would attach pics but it isn't letting me upload them. something about invalid files?
Thanks Jarrod

I'd advise you pass It on if you can't look after it, I'm sure someone would be happy to take it off your hands and give it the life it deserves. You should have separated them at least until she was feeding well. I wouldn't have housed them together at all. You should also not feed snakes together in the same enclosure at any time, even when keeping a close eye on them disasters can happen in an instant.

- - - Updated - - -

Try placing her in a Tupperware container with the mouse. She will have a better chance of seizing and eating the rodent, without having the ability to drop it out of sight.

I do feed them separately outside the enclosure and have also tried in small enclosure overnight but to no avail. I kind of believe it may be due to stress of living with a much bigger snake but not 100%. I also think she might have some issues, as her aim is way worse than the males and some times she seems to strike at nothing

If possible put her in an enclosure by herself for a week and then try feeding again. As for the other issues you've mentioned your best asking a vet for advise

I acquired this lovely female diamond and can safely say, she had a feed today. It took a little bit to get her to take her food.
The first time I tried to feed her she nailed it in the middle of the body and then spat it out after 20 minutes as she couldn't work out how to get it down.
She even tried pushing it against a log to try and force it down.
No such trouble today. She nailed it around the throat and then walked her mouth around the head and once she worked out that gravity isn't her friend, she managed to get it down.

Yay for Sapphire :)

I think the way you present food to your snake is very important especially when it comes to fussy feeders as mentioned.

Just an update on Sapphire.
She is pooping and eating well.

I gave her the balance of the fuzzies that the original owner gave me and then moved her onto weaners.
5 minutes is all she takes to get them down.

She's still a little anxious when being handled but she is getting better.
We are down to one bite each play time :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back