diamond python personality change HELP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

punchn

Reaction score
I have a large diamond python 2.5m, I have had her for approx 8 yrs and she has never bitten anyone, never even looked aggressively at anyone, she has a large enclosure in our living room, she has always been fed monthly and eats medium to large rabbits. today I put a rabbit in her enclosure and she immediately went for me, but not my hand, her head come out of her enclosure and repeatedly snapped at my face until I closed the door on her, she then ate the rabbit, 10 min later I put my hand against her enclosure and she struck at my hand hitting the Perspex window, shes never done that before either, she does not get handled regularly but whenever children come to visit I get her out and the kids all have a hold without incident, after today I am scared to put my hand anywhere inside her enclosure.
The only thing that has changed in our house in recent times is that we now have a 1 week old baby, I now fear for my babys safety (she has never got out but she'd never bitten before today either) and my wife is uncomfortable having her in the house. any ideas what may have bought on this sudden behaviour?

cheers

Not an expert but could be a couple of reasons. 1st thing check for mites they should be visible ( this will probably involve handling snake as I'm not sure how far away you can see them) it also could he hormonal but if she 8 and hasn't done it before I'm not sure.. Anyway good luck and don't give up on her :)

It just sounds like an excited feed to me - snakes are very primal and the feed instinct can be very strong. My snakes are quite placid and handle well however even the most placid of my snakes can become very excitable during a feed and for a couple of hours after. When I feed my Bhp's I dont go near their cage for the rest of the day if I can help it. The last feed my big girl got a whiff of the rat and began launching across the cage in all directions - later I walked past the cage and she had a crack at me. Got her out today with nil issues. I would expect your diamond to return to normal if not already then very soon.

I agree she just sounded excited.

Just drop the rabbit in and leave her be.

Yep, it's a hard call to know for sure, but if they get fired up (any snake) YOU are the biggest heat signature in the room and I could see this happening. I've been hit by my boa constrictor during a feed. I've fed live and thawed, and when my snakes are in feed mode a lot of the time, they are keyed on me, probably because I'm giving off the most heat and air and my movements are more noticeable.

If this isn't happening within 24-48 hours of feeding, I would not be worried. If it's a consistent behavior not related to feeding, there may possibly be other issues.

Retic keepers see this fairly often.

I put her rabbit in the same way I have for 8 yrs in the exact same spot and she has never even hissed at me until now, if she was just fired up because of food I would of thought she would have bitten me years ago.

She hasn't struck the window but I am hesitant to put my hand in her enclosure.

Last edited:
I know it will be hard for you but really just go back to what you usually do with her. I am very confident that that behavior was solely food driven. You can't be afraid to go in the cage otherwise you will be hesitant to do simple things like changing the water or cleaning the cage.

if it was a feed response then why now? why hasn't she done it before, like I said ive had her 8yrs. regardless I had to give her away.

Feed responses vary, my 2 murray darlings both act differently.. My female is generally quiet as hell, but had her launch about 2feet out of her enclosure for food just before she came into mating season..(First time ive had it happen)

I think giving her away is a bit of an over reaction to be honest.

In my experience I always keep in mind that whenever they are fiesty it's always one of two things: being frightened or feed related. Just keep in mind that these snakes are very much wild animals and regardless of docile nature or past history instinct is always going to come to the surface sooner or later. One 'incident' in 8 years sounds pretty good to me for snake of that size. Stay confident, don't loose faith, and keep doing what you've been doing until now

if it was a feed response then why now? why hasn't she done it before, like I said ive had her 8yrs. regardless I had to give her away.

Wow.
One snappy incident in 8 years and a couple of days later you give her away...
Talk about being taken to the gallows before the trial...
Wow.

She might hasve been particularly hungry. Was her last meal a while ago, has she been wintered. Was the rabbit where she could smell it this time for a little while longer?

I would agree it's feeding response but if you want to give her away I'm sure I can make space for her if you are local.

nope she couldn't smell the rabbit, she feeds once a month as always, the only thing that has changed is I have a new born baby in the house, who aint much bigger than a rabbit, if it was an occasional occurrence I wouldn't be so concerned but cause it was so out of her character she had to go, shes gone to live with a well known Sydney breeder in his outdoor enclosure with 3 other diamonds.

That's a bummer, but you made your decision, and I guess if we look at what is most important to you, the new baby is IT and should be. While I'm in agreement with some of the others that things would eventually work out, I won't fault anybody for choosing safety of a child, whether it be from a perceived threat or real one. I take it there is a wife or family member possibly urging you to decide??

It sounds like you had a good placement home lined up, which is quite responsible compared to what some folks have been known to do.

I only own 3 snakes, a boa constrictor, which has bitten me once during a feeding mistake I made, a coastal carpet mutt that has bitten me 3 times out of fear, and a royal python that has never bitten me.

I fully expect to be bitten again sometime in the future, due to a mistake I'll eventually make and I can accept it.

I'd expect after 8 years you probably were not thrilled to place your pet.

Good luck with the new baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back