Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyNut

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone give me some care info on Eyrean Earless Dragon, Tympanocryptis tetraporophora? Yes I know that they are rare in captivity and expensive and yes I am prepared to take on feeding, heating and lighting requirements. Am going to start breeding, however will only be breeding Agamid's and geckos. T.tetraporophora is one that I really would like to breed in future or at least keep. So far the only care I can source is in Dr Danny Brown's dragon book but I don't have a copy :(

Last edited:
They prefer a stony substrate and a rock to perch on in there basking spot. Crickets, woodies and such will suffice as food, I'd dust with calcium and a multivit on alternating days as with other dragons.

they require uvb and basking temps in the high 30's. 36-38 would be ideal.
theyll sleep in or on there hide or if given a sandy substrate they'll dig there own burrow. They've been known to eat scorpions.

havent kept an eyrean earless but had a wild caught gibber (tympanocryptis intima) a couple of years back.

Oh the sound very similar to Cetnophorus species which I keep lol (well only C.fionni but who cares) only main difference is ctenophorus prefer basking temps of like 40-42c(well fionni anyway). So what depth of sub will be required and what would be a recommended choice for that stony substrate?
Thanks Dr-Zoidberg.

Depth is entirely up to you but 10+Cm would be good. You can Slope It to look like dunes, I used that red desert sand sold at majority of pet shops. You can get small 1kg bags of gravel at bunnings in all sorts of colours I used red and mixed the two together. For breeding females provide a hide box with moist sand for laying, or keep a small patch of substrate moist and she may lay there. Keep the water bowl at the coolest location in the enclosure as you may have problems with to high of humidity, unless it's well ventilated.

Thanks [MENTION=40357]Dr-Zoidberg[/MENTION] oh um what size enclosure would be needed? As in dimensions?
cheers
CN

Depends on how many are being housed together?
a pair will be comfortable in a terrarium 3ft long 2ft wide 2ft high
it dosent need to be tall but more hight allows for more elevated perches. Dominant individuals can defend there favourite basking spot from weaker/smaller dragons.

Ok. Was thinking a trio (one male and 2 females) but due to rarity I'm probably gonna have to go with a pair. Would a glass enclosure work well? I have 2 spare melamine however one is reserved for a Stimson's python and the other is not very high so if it will work I will build a glass enclosure and do a rock/sandstone styled background for them.

Again, entirely up to you, I used a converted aquarium.
i prefer glass for visual apeal but depending on your location you may have issues with heat retention.
Use a dimmer thermastat so the light dosent switch off and deprive them of there much loved basking spot
a trio would also do well in the above cage dimensions
remember to feed small amounts often rather than a big feed once a day, breeding size can be attained in six months.
cheers.

Last edited:
I would strongly recommend going for a more hardy species, something like netted dragons, jacky dragons or mountain dragons. Earless dragons and Mallee dragons are both very fragile and have short lifespans as well as being quite hard to come by.

Cheers Dr-Zoidberg, see I'm with you on that, glass enclosures always look way better but they can be a pain to heat correctly. [MENTION=2329]W.T.BUY[/MENTION] I am well aware of their short lifespan and "fragile" life. As I have mentioned before I have kept small arid dragons before, I also consider myself more than capable of caring for these dragons. However as they are so rare these are not the only dragon I'm looking at, I'm also looking at long nosed dragon (Amphibolurus longirostris) and Malle dragon (ctenophorus fordi) plus a few others including red barred dragons (ctenophorus vadnappa) but I already am fully aware of their care. Unfortunately Mountain dragons (Rankinia diemensis) can not be kept in Victoria despite being easy to care for and pretty common, would own a trio already if I could.
P.S I believe longirostris change from Amphibolurus but I can't remember what to (?).

That's it Gowidon knew it started with G. Scott Eipper was informing me on this the other day lol. Thanks @geckodan. Would have been a shock if they changed back lophognathus lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back