What to do when you goanna has a respiratory infection?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaper86

Not so new Member
Reaction score
What to do when your goanna has a respiratory infection? I get a heat light in with my goanna and saliva comes out. I live in the country, so going to a reptile vet won't be easy.Is there any way to make it get better with injectable antibiotics? Would swallowing a piece of bark cause the infection?

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but people mix eucalyptus oil in a bow of water, and let it vaporise in it's enclosure, leave it there for 10 min and do that once a day. Increasing the temperature also helped. But I still went to the vet just to be sure, and the vet gave it some anti-biotic syrup.

- - - Updated - - -

http://bamboozoo.weebly.com/snake--respiratory-remedy.html
I chose eucalyptus oil over vapour rub, cause it's natural. Hope this helps.

Before some one says take it to the vet, I have an appointment with the vet tomorrow at 1pm. The enclosure is roughly 35 or more under the basking light, not really sure of the temp because don't have a thermostat, had one. But no longer working. Tried to hook it up over the weekend.

What kind of goanna is it? as far as i know the basking temp for most monitors should be 55-60C+ , incorrect temps are a far more likely reason for RI than swallowing a piece of bark,....

The issue is your husbandry. Monitors as cupcake said require far higher basking temperatures well above that.

Ditch the thermostat completely. Invest in a thermometer bunnings will do for now but inferred red ones are better, and look at your heating side of husbandry. Depending on the size of the monitor you may well need more light fixtures and more watts in your globes (if using just regular ones). I would normally advise think long term and go metal halides but Mercury vapour bulbs will go ok, but in your situation at this particular point in time (I'm assuming your using regular bulbs) look in bunnings for those broad faced flood lights 150w, you need the heat and as it has RI look at a basking spot 70+ and the cool end over 30.
Probably make more advice if saw your caging, but that's the start of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back