2 males, or male and female?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris1

cupcake
Reaction score
I have 2 jungles that i purchased as hatchies as a male and female, that would be about 7 years old now. A few years ago i saw them mate numerous times whenever they were put together (which was rarely, but they never missed a chance), the other day they were in the aviary for some sun and i was watching tehm closely so i could seperate them if i saw any mating behaviour. (i really DONT want babies)
anyway, next thing i know theyre doing the combat thing like 2 males would,....

their indoor cages are seperate, it was just the aviary space they were sharing for a day out.

SO, which is more likely, that i have 2 males that were experimenting sexually at one stage? or a male and female that were brawling like bogans?

It doesnt really matter since i dont plan on breeding them, but im curious as to which scenario is more likely.

See someone who is confident in sexing them and get them to confirm. That's the easiest way mate.

thanks guys, I seem to have mis worded my question, im not interested in the gender of these snakes, (the male was confirmed male when i took him to the vet for surgery) I am interested in typical behaviours of snakes, i have read that males will occasionally mate with other males, but havent managed to find any info on male/female combat.

Understood completely, but you first need to establish the sex of both of them before you can conclude anything.

Could go either way, I've never personally seen two males "mating", but have heard of it, have had males and females combating though.....

Probing is not always reliable either, just in my modest little collection alone I have 5 or 6 (proven) girls of assorted species that if I didn't know better they would read as males when probed.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back