Washing enclosure items?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ditto on recommending the use of household chemicals to inexperienced folks...

Each to their own.

With proper precautions, bleach is safe to use. Bleach is used by countless vets, hospitals, and animal shelters across the globe for sanitation purposes. I also gave warning as to the consequences of missuse.

Bleach is useless to treat raw timber unless it has a detergent mixed with it. The bleach, even when diluted in water won't absorb into the timber and will only remove surface pathogens. Pesticides and herbicides are far more concerning and bleach won't get rid of those either. I have had no problem with brushing off bush timber and putting it into enclosures so long as its sourced from a clean, chemical free environment. Couldn't agree more with [MENTION=24758]BigWillieStyles[/MENTION] and [MENTION=27815]SniperCap[/MENTION].

The whole point is to clean, disinfect the surface, as the surface is what the reptile will be in direct contact with. The surface is also generaly where such pathogens are found, whether from mould, fungi or faecal residue.

Bleach won't remove mould from timber, the roots from the mould are deeper into the timber and after a little while it will just come back. You would be better of using vinegar or baking soda, but if the timber has mould or fungi growing on it, its probably no suitable to use in a enclosure anyway.

F10 won't kill everything; mites for example, unless u have f10scxd instead of what most people have which is f10sc.
another option would be to use Permoxin. Dilute it and spray. I'd give it a good spray aswell as leave it wrapped up in a sunny hot place for a week. Im a bit paranoid about introducing things into a captive environment though.

f10scxd can that be brought the vets ?

Last edited:
Bleach will kill mould, scrubbing removes it . Bleach at a concentration of less than 5% is ineffective in doing so. Bleach containing mould removers such as exit mould contain approximately 6% bleach when packaged, yet only contains around 4% after sitting on a shelf for a while as it breaks down over time.

cheers

Wow! I didn't even know I could go to page 2, hahaha. I think I might take a photo of the log and see what you all think but first, I'll have a little read through. Thanks for all your replies :)

Yes bleach will kill mould, but not in porous timber. The roots of the mould are deeper in the timber and will eventually grow back. This is true for numerous applications unless it has an added detergent to make it absorb into the timber. (Like in exit mould), but adding a cocktail of chemicals to your enclosure furniture is more dangerous than nasties you will pick up from generally clean bush wood. As Snipercap said, each to there own.

Maybe you should burn the log and put the ashes in the enclosure just to be on the safe side.

f10scxd can that be brought the vets ?

I've seen it advertised a few places online. If your vet can order f10 I, sure they can order scxd if it is available.

Yes bleach will kill mould, but not in porous timber. The roots of the mould are deeper in the timber and will eventually grow back. This is true for numerous applications unless it has an added detergent to make it absorb into the timber. (Like in exit mould), but adding a cocktail of chemicals to your enclosure furniture is more dangerous than nasties you will pick up from generally clean bush wood. As Snipercap said, each to there own.

Yes, a surfectant is required to lower the water tension for porous woods.
I stand corrected.

Hi, I would clean the branches / sticks with water and then use F10SC dilluted through a spray bottle. Let air dry. It Kills all types of pathogen ? F10SC is bactericidal, virucidal, fungicidal, sporicidal.

I fill a deep sink or metal bucket with just really hot water and than place whatever I'm washing in there untill the water goes cold than dry in the sun (if its too big to be submerge than I repeat the process on the part that didn't get soaked). Probably don't need to go to the trouble I do but I do it for my peace of mind lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back