Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The imbricata I keep are all housed much the same, with a choice of a elevated hide and a ground hide at the cool side of the enclosure. The inland (Wheatbelt area), the Northern (Lancelin, Geralton areas) definitely use and prefer the ground hides. Even the animals from the Perth foothills, and the lower south (Margaret River area) seem to use the ground hide more regularly than you would think given there local habitat. I have found the animals from the terrestrial areas bask far less during the day compared with the more southern varieties, just as a matter of interest. More importantly, captive bred specimens from these same animals so far have exhibited similar behaviour. While this is not totally conclusive, it suggests to me that some evolutionary changes have occurred in different regions. It is interesting to note that when hungry, the animals from more vegetated areas will perch higher up in ambush positions while the more terrestrial animals sit on top of there hides in a similar fashion.

Wing_Nut

Yes I've made similar obsevations to Wing nut as I also provide a floor hide and an elevated hide. Though some just an elevated hide, if they are from the wooded areas.
The tracking Dave did they found the specimens fitted with trackers brumating on the ground under thick bushes. As opposed to the ones from woodland brumating in logs and tree hollows. It's fascinating to observe these animals and the small differences when brought into captivity. I've noticed the ones from limestone areas prefer to be squished in a crevice like between a hide and the side of the viv, than actually use a hide.
I'm eagerly waiting for first gen captive bred in a year or two to see if the progeny are keen to climb or if by instinct they prefer the lower areas.

Excellent banter!

All of this is very interesting to me for sure.

As with all snake species, we need to consider captive VS wild environments before making general conclusions.

I am quite pleased that you are all able to experience both as I can only attest to what I see in the captive environment.

Thanks for all of the insight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back