Skink ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dexter_84

Found this mad guy cruising on the cement outside.

I live in Queensland
a8ytujuz.jpg

Ctenotus species possibly juvenile C. robustus given your location. Can you get a full body shot and one from above.

- - - Updated - - -

Could be C. arcanus also. Those would be my two picks based solely on location and appearance without better shots. I live in western Brisbane myself and see arcanus which look very close to that one.

Butters is correct in what he says and the whole body and dorsal photos are important when trying to identify most reptiles but even more so striped skinks. That aside, based on location, this one is identifiable as Ctenotus arcanus. C. robustus has grey mottling, sometimes forming off-white to white circular or oval patches. The black lower lateral band containing white dots is characteristic of C. arcanus.

Blue

Thanks guys.

Sorry no full body shots. Just took a few pics and let him go.

Ctenotus robustus no longer occurs In southern qld, nsw or Victoria. These animals are now being classed as spaldingi. While I have reservations about the conclusions drawn in the paper and further work is required. I expect further changes and likely reserection of some of the now sunk species

Fair enough. Thanks for that so without the reclassification it still might have been robustus.
Now I have to go through my files and relabel photos based on location. Not to mention that I have C. robustus on license but no idea of collection location. I guess they will stay as robustus.

I just caught another/possibly the same one.

I managed to get better pics. He was a bitey lil bugger too.
1201536d5786fb7f5497cc46e7f306a6.jpg
108d4ac2165be2021b6fa967c17a136c.jpg
b8046a78c279ea053559b46d3ba9f35f.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back