How to Handle New 2 Year Old Spotted Python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

radioinvader

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I purchased and brought home a 2 year old male spotted python. The previous owner sold him with the terrarium and all, so he's in the same cage as he has been since the seller had him. However I was told to wait at least 12 hours to handle him because drive home would no doubt stress him out, as well as the new surroundings. He hid under his water bowl for the rest of the day and I'm guessing for the rest of the night last night. I took him out this morning, and while he didn't bite, he seemed especially interested in burying himself in my hair and jumped twice at what seemed like nothing (not at me, as though he was going to strike, more like he jumped backwards like he was startled).

I didn't want to overwhelm him too much so I only had him out for a couple minutes before I put him back in the terrarium. When I put him back, he seemed a little more interested in roaming around and even climbed on the branch before relaxing on the rock under the heat lamp.

I don't know how often I should be holding him or even when I should start, and how long it should take him to settle, especially since he's in the same terrarium with all his accessories and the previous owner says he is really friendly and likes people. The last thing I want to do is stress him out even more, though. I'm a first time snake owner, so this is all pretty new and I don't wanna freak him out by being too eager.

Let him settle for at least 7 days before you feed him and maybe leave it a little longer until you handle him.
In that time you should still clean and change water when you need to.

I'm gonna be feeding him tomorrow since he was feed a week ago. The owner has been feeding him every Sunday, so I'm just keeping him to the schedule. I know I can't handle him for 24/48 hours after he eats, so I will probably wait until the next coming Saturday to try and handle him again. It's gonna be hard because I was so excited to get him and all I wanna do is hold him, but I know I can't.

I'm gonna be feeding him tomorrow since he was feed a week ago. The owner has been feeding him every Sunday, so I'm just keeping him to the schedule. I know I can't handle him for 24/48 hours after he eats, so I will probably wait until the next coming Saturday to try and handle him again. It's gonna be hard because I was so excited to get him and all I wanna do is hold him, but I know I can't.

I don't think you understand.
If he is stressed he probably won't eat.
If you leave him alone to settle in for a week rather than shoving food in his face within the first few days you will have more chance of him actually eating.
I think you are better off leaving it and waiting until next Sunday.

Also, what size food is he being fed every week?

I don't think you understand.
If he is stressed he probably won't eat.
If you leave him alone to settle in for a week rather than shoving food in his face within the first few days you will have more chance of him actually eating.
I think you are better off leaving it and waiting until next Sunday.

Also, what size food is he being fed every week?

I checked the package of the food and it says weaner mice (the food the owner gave me, not stuff I bought). The owner said he was feeding him every week or every two weeks on occasion if he wasn't hungry. So, just in case he does end up getting hungry before next Sunday, are there any signs I can watch for? I just worry about leaving him without food for so long. I understand what you mean, though, and it'd just be a waste if he doesn't eat because I've read you're not supposed to refreeze the mice once they thaw. I think I freaked him out enough when I handled him the morning after I got him. I wouldn't have, but the owner said just 12 hours would be fine. I'm glad I came on here to ask because I don't want to stress the poor snake out more.

Last edited:
a week or two is nothing to wait for a snake for food, they can happily go months without eating.
Leave it alone completely for at least a week. Simple.
You can refreeze a rat straight away if it's been quick thawed and it'll be fine.

a week or two is nothing to wait for a snake for food, they can happily go months without eating.
Leave it alone completely for at least a week. Simple.
You can refreeze a rat straight away if it's been quick thawed and it'll be fine.
Okay thanks. I'm just a little paranoid it being my first snake, that's all. I'm glad to have some advice to go by. I can tell you that the previous owner wasn't very helpful. Had him for at least a year, and told me he wasn't even sure if it was a boy or not, never had him sexed, which I may do later.

I'm also having some issues acquiring name/the address he is moving to and license information. I was never proposed or given a movement advice, which I didn't realize I needed until I went to fill in the record book I ordered. The previous owner is now avoiding contact with me through the cell phone number on the website, and I don't even have a name.

I did also make another thread on this, though, and I've been informed that I should just call the department on Monday and they'll help me sort out keeping the snake legally and stuff like that since the seller seems disinclined to give me the information I need. I am doubting he even has a license or record book, and if he does he's probably lost it somehow.

Most likely he's not licensed. Not much you can do about that except call the Dept. they're usually pretty understanding and helpful when it comes to this sorta stuff, not uncommon.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to give him a feed, all you can do is offer. Don't harass him with him, if he takes it he takes it. If not then just refreeze and try again in a week.

Also him having a nice full tummy, might actually help him settle better. But if he doesn't eat then dont worry. Just dont handle him for a week from the day you got him home.

Give him water, and a feed. Cover him up and leave him be. ^_^

If you want to give him a feed, all you can do is offer. Don't harass him with him, if he takes it he takes it. If not then just refreeze and try again in a week.

Also him having a nice full tummy, might actually help him settle better. But if he doesn't eat then dont worry. Just dont handle him for a week from the day you got him home.

Give him water, and a feed. Cover him up and leave him be. ^_^
Okay, thanks :) I will try feeding him tonight. He's been curled up int he warm end of his tank between the rock and the glass all day long. Do you think it's normal for him to do that? I'm hoping he will feel better after eating, and he looks okay physically, but today he has hardly moved at all. Could this just be him adjusting? Yesterday he was moving about much more and laying out in the open. Today he hasn't touched his water or gone near the cooler side of the tank (28C to about 31C on the warm side. I'm going to be getting a heating pad and maybe a lower wattage bulb so that the head gradient is larger).

Also, sorry, should I be turning the heat lamp off at night? I don't have a heating pad, but I've heard the temp difference and the light being off mimics a natural day/night cycle.

EDIT: I fed him a thawed out mouse and after I left him alone for a bit while I ate dinner, I came back and he was chilling out with a full tummy.

Last edited:
Okay, thanks :) I will try feeding him tonight. He's been curled up int he warm end of his tank between the rock and the glass all day long. Do you think it's normal for him to do that? I'm hoping he will feel better after eating, and he looks okay physically, but today he has hardly moved at all. Could this just be him adjusting? Yesterday he was moving about much more and laying out in the open. Today he hasn't touched his water or gone near the cooler side of the tank (28C to about 31C on the warm side. I'm going to be getting a heating pad and maybe a lower wattage bulb so that the head gradient is larger).

Also, sorry, should I be turning the heat lamp off at night? I don't have a heating pad, but I've heard the temp difference and the light being off mimics a natural day/night cycle.

EDIT: I fed him a thawed out mouse and after I left him alone for a bit while I ate dinner, I came back and he was chilling out with a full tummy.

Don't worry at all. Everything you described sounds normal :3 If the temp diff is alot, like if at night it gets below 15 degrees I'd say leave it on otherwise you can turn it off at night. I suggest you get a thermostat. That will eliminate that problem ^_^

And don't worry about him not drinking, alot of snakes don't drink that often anyway. I'm glad he's eaten and is settling in nicely!

I checked the package of the food and it says weaner mice (the food the owner gave me, not stuff I bought). The owner said he was feeding him every week or every two weeks on occasion if he wasn't hungry. So, just in case he does end up getting hungry before next Sunday, are there any signs I can watch for? I just worry about leaving him without food for so long. I understand what you mean, though, and it'd just be a waste if he doesn't eat because I've read you're not supposed to refreeze the mice once they thaw. I think I freaked him out enough when I handled him the morning after I got him. I wouldn't have, but the owner said just 12 hours would be fine. I'm glad I came on here to ask because I don't want to stress the poor snake out more.

A 2 year old Spotty should be on bigger food than "Weaner Mice", both my 2 year old Spotties are on adult mice every 7-10 days or 3 day old Quail every now and then for a change, Weaner mice don't have enough fur, fat or bone density to give your Spotty all it needs in the way of nutrients, you will be surprised just how large an animal the Anteresia sp can get down. :) ...................................Ron

A 2 year old Spotty should be on bigger food than "Weaner Mice", both my 2 year old Spotties are on adult mice every 7-10 days or 3 day old Quail every now and then for a change, Weaner mice don't have enough fur, fat or bone density to give your Spotty all it needs in the way of nutrients, you will be surprised just how large an animal the Anteresia sp can get down. :) ...................................Ron
Thank you! I plan on getting him larger food asap because I did notice that the weaner mice weren't big enough around for the width of his body. I fed him tonight and there's hardly a bulge. Should I maybe feed him again sooner than a week? There's still three or so mice left and I don't wanna waste them before I go get more.

It really all sounds fine to me. Wouldn't stress too much about the week thing. The biggest thing you want to make sure happen is that they eat. Many snakes will often eat the next day they're in their new home. They're very resilient, I think a lot of people giving advice forget that =)

You could simply feed him the rest of the mice and then up his size. Even feed one mouse next week, and then the remaining two mice the week after, and then move up.

There's nothing wrong with having a snake for longer than a year and not knowing whether it's a boy or girl. Many people don't know how to probe snakes themselves, and there's no reason to pay the vet to do it if you're not going to breed the snake any time in the future. It makes no difference to the snake if you call it a boy or girl.

I would personally be turning the heat off at night (and during some days also), it's starting to get very hot now up in Brisbane. One thing you might find interesting is that snakes don't particularly like stagnant water (water that has been sitting there for a few days). This is why you'll more often than not see them drinking from fresh water (if you're going to see them at all hehe). I rotate water bowls through my younger snakes (the bigger snakes have large water bowls since I use globes), and they will probably only get water once every 4-6 days, they don't really use a constant water source other wise.

Yeah I turned off the snakes heat yesterday, and their tanks stayed at 33 degrees. It was like 38 degrees yesterday! Also I have had Freya for almost 3 years, I thought she was a girl cause I tried to pop her when she was baby, well nothing popped out so I thought she was a girl.

A few weeks ago I looked at her shed and I see two shriveled spike things on the vent part. She might actually be a boy. Shes about to shed now so I will see then.

I see my Darwin drink at night on particularly hot days. But they definitely don't drink water all the time, when they do they drink for up to a whole minute or more XD

Snake ownership can be scary, but as long as they are warm, have water and get a feed every week. You're pretty much good. They are pretty hardy.

It really all sounds fine to me. Wouldn't stress too much about the week thing. The biggest thing you want to make sure happen is that they eat. Many snakes will often eat the next day they're in their new home. They're very resilient, I think a lot of people giving advice forget that =)

You could simply feed him the rest of the mice and then up his size. Even feed one mouse next week, and then the remaining two mice the week after, and then move up.

There's nothing wrong with having a snake for longer than a year and not knowing whether it's a boy or girl. Many people don't know how to probe snakes themselves, and there's no reason to pay the vet to do it if you're not going to breed the snake any time in the future. It makes no difference to the snake if you call it a boy or girl.

I would personally be turning the heat off at night (and during some days also), it's starting to get very hot now up in Brisbane. One thing you might find interesting is that snakes don't particularly like stagnant water (water that has been sitting there for a few days). This is why you'll more often than not see them drinking from fresh water (if you're going to see them at all hehe). I rotate water bowls through my younger snakes (the bigger snakes have large water bowls since I use globes), and they will probably only get water once every 4-6 days, they don't really use a constant water source other wise.
Yep, he is eating well :) I'm going to up his food asap, though. And I did really notice what you mean about the water. I changed the water today and as soon as i put the fresh stuff in his tank he was all over it. I also have been turning the heat off at night when I turn my light out, and I will follow your advice and do it during some hotter days, as well.

I'm also still having a really hard time judging whether or not it's okay to take him out. The last couple days what I have been doing is opening the sliding door of the terrarium, letting him know that I'm there by gently tapping the snake stick on the edge of the tank and then just sitting back on the floor. He usually likes to stick his head out and just flick his tongue around, and yesterday he almost came out all the way. But since his handlings by me haven't been extraordinary (the previous owner told me to leave him for 12 hours, so I took him out the day after I got him, which wasn't good), and the second time (after 6-7 days of leaving him be) he was still nervous and seemed afraid and false struck at my hand. He seems a lot more comfortable now, but I have no idea how to go about taking him out and I don't want to freak him out. If he's in his hide (which I'm finding he's been doing a lot of since I fed him on Sunday with the exception of me putting in the water today), is it okay for me to take him out, or should I wait until he's out on his rock in the open to get him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back